Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 5:33:33 PM EDT
 Just received from Century a batch of HXP 30-06. Out of six ammo cans, one can had many cartridge cases that were badly tarnished, and another ammo can that was slightly tarnished. The other 4 cans were OK. I consider all to be shootable, but not at all up to the standards of the previous batch that I bought from Century. This lot is all 1061-hxp-65. How severe? 25% of the cartridge heads in one can are so black with tarnish that it is hard to read the headstamp. The tarnish tends to run slightly down onto the main body on approximately 25 percent. I pulled a few bullets of the worst of the lot, and mild corrosion did affect the inside of the cases, although for the most part, the inside was bright and shiny. The powder charge is a whopping 53.5 grains of some sort of ball powder!! The bullets are a flat base 150 Grain Spitzer. I only had a few really bad ones that I pulled, so I will still fire the worst of the worst in my oldest clunked up Garand--(it's still a shooter, though) The Century is still a good deal, and even the ODCMP warns about tarnished ammo. I do not feel slighted, but thought everyone should know, that the reason Century has a discount on this ammo now, is no doubt because of this small percentage of tarnished ammo. (Or, I just got unlucky, and this is a S.W.A.G.) :) It is still worth it, in my opinion.
Regards, Willy
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i've got some stuff from CMP that had light to medium tarnish on them.  if i could buff them smooth with a piece of steel wool i didn't sweat it.  if it took more than that i trashed them.  i think out of the entire 240rd can maybe 5rds i didn't feel safe firing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
How much did this stuff cost you?  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much did this stuff cost you?  Thanks.

vmax84

It costs the same as if you were to buy it from CMP.  And that is if you buy enough to rate the discount.  At least CMP tells you right on the website, that some of the ammo is going to be corroded.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 Just received from Century a batch of HXP 30-06. Out of six ammo cans, one can had many cartridge cases that were badly tarnished, and another ammo can that was slightly tarnished. The other 4 cans were OK. I consider all to be shootable, but not at all up to the standards of the previous batch that I bought from Century. This lot is all 1061-hxp-65. How severe? 25% of the cartridge heads in one can are so black with tarnish that it is hard to read the headstamp. The tarnish tends to run slightly down onto the main body on approximately 25 percent. I pulled a few bullets of the worst of the lot, and mild corrosion did affect the inside of the cases, although for the most part, the inside was bright and shiny. The powder charge is a whopping 53.5 grains of some sort of ball powder!! The bullets are a flat base 150 Grain Spitzer. I only had a few really bad ones that I pulled, so I will still fire the worst of the worst in my oldest clunked up Garand--(it's still a shooter, though) The Century is still a good deal, and even the ODCMP warns about tarnished ammo. I do not feel slighted, but thought everyone should know, that the reason Century has a discount on this ammo now, is no doubt because of this small percentage of tarnished ammo. (Or, I just got unlucky, and this is a S.W.A.G.) :) It is still worth it, in my opinion.
Regards, Willy

Lets be real shall we?

Its called military surplus for a reason

Use a medium grade steel wool to buff the tarnish off the metal.

Its not the end of the world by an means just because the vendor didn't tell you that your milsurp is not brand spanking new
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It cost 100 dollars for 400 rounds in a fifty caliber ammo can, delivered. Out of 6 cans, I had one that was bad. All the cans looked fine on the outside, but the bad one had a bit of rust inside. I can't imagine Century opening each and every can out of the thousands that they ship. I feel that a few phoned complaints possibly got them to make a special deal on this ammunition. Remember, ANY surplus ammo is a crap shoot.  I am still very happy with my purchase, as all the rounds that look the worst fire ok. It is still a great deal, and I will buy more before it is all gone. I figured it would be a good service to the community to let everyone know that the occasional corroded can may come your way. It certainly is not the majority of the batch of ammo that I received. This may well be the last of the good 30-06 surplus, anywhere in the world, that is match accurate. So, take a chance, and, Buy it Cheap, and Stack it Deep!
Regards, Willy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top