Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2007 12:07:04 PM EDT

Today was inauguration day for the Garand.  Just over a hundred rounds down the tube.  The trigger needs some love, but should smooth up with continued use.  No failures of any kind.  Accuracy was better than I expected quite honestly.  

Most of all, I had fun with my 64 year old rebuild and she was the envy of the line.  I even let an old timer drool over it and send a clipful downrange.  He was all smiles after that (...and so was I.)  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I was hoping tpo see some pics of the action (shooting action that is)
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+ UNO...

What he said!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ UNO...

What he said!

OK, Picture this...

It is just over a month until the Michigan Firearm Deer Season Opener.  There are 30 people at the state run DNR range, despite it being 1000 hours on a Thursday morning.

There are saddle-mounted, scoped 870s with see-through-rings and $85 muzzleloaders wearing Tasco glass everywhere you look.  You are obviously outnumbered.  

Being by yourself and mildly retarded to boot, you decide to concentrate on the task at hand - zeroing your rifle - as opposed to asking a stranger to take a picture of you while you are shooting.  

Most of the nimrods sighting in their deer killin' weapons couldn't get on the paper without assistance from the Range Officer.  Had I asked one of them to shoot a photo, I would have obviously ended up with a picture of the bench two stations down from where I was sitting.  It was like the targets were fucking pinatas or something...

The range officers are for the most part obstinate, beligerant, narrow minded, obsolete thinking, babysitters of the unwashed public.  They have their hands full with the "other ones", and won't even cordially converse with you if you seem to have the slightest inkling you know what the hell you are doing and don't try to kill anyone during your time on the line.  Hell...they even avoid making eye contact.  

So unless you need to be told in no uncertain terms that a 200 grain bullet is the only one you should be using in that T/C smokepole, or you leave your action closed with a round chambered during ceasefire, or you sweep 29 others as you step behind the yellow line with an uncased Mossberg you bought last night at WalMart....you probably won't hear a peep out of them, much less see them come down to your bench.  Besides, they're working so it would be poor form to ask them to divert their attention away from the others so they could take a picture of you shooting.

There was one old timer shooting a Remington .22 at 100 yards and tearing it up.  There was another with a gorgeous Shiloh Sharps in 45/90 who obviously knew that of which he spoke, and intimately.  

Other than that, it was a bunch of gray haired white guys that needed baby sitting.  I wonder what will happen to our kind when they all die?

ETA - There were three rear sight adjustments made during the course of fire on the top target.  You can see the groups walking into the middle if you look at it...

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Dang it.  I am going to the range tomorrow.  Don't remind me of the crap I will be dealing with.  It always scares the hell out of me.  I am so paranoid that I carry a loaded pistol to the target in case I have to shoot back.  :-)

I forgot to add  -  Great work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Black tip ammo..Armor piercing? if so I would have held on to that
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to the CMP South Store a few weeks ago and looked at several of the Special Grade M1's on display, they are nice!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe most .30-06 armor piercing is corrosive, so be sure and clean it well afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I believe most .30-06 armor piercing is corrosive, so be sure and clean it well afterwards.

I'm pretty sure all of it is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are both incorrect.  This ammunition is not corrosive.  I'm shooting SL 53.  Saint Louis converted to non-corrosive priming in July of 1952 with Lot Number 9467.  

My SL53 is from Lot number 9743...definitely non-corrosive.  Besides....I've shot some, have you?

Quoted:
Black tip ammo..Armor piercing? if so I would have held on to that

Had to get 'er zeroed.  The rest (...about a thousand rounds) is for a rainy day.

Quoted:
I went to the CMP South Store a few weeks ago and looked at several of the Special Grade M1's on display, they are nice!  

How in the name of all that is Holy did you leave without buying one?

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You are both incorrect.  This ammunition is not corrosive.  I'm shooting SL 53.  Saint Louis converted to non-corrosive priming in July of 1952 with Lot Number 9467.  

My SL53 is from Lot number 9743...definitely non-corrosive.  Besides....I've shot some, have you?

That's cool.  I have a bandaleer of the regular stuff.  I just wanted to make sure you didn't damage such a nice rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top