Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2007 1:23:38 PM EDT
I just picked up a heel stamped Polytech which has a USGI stock and I believe a USGI flashhider. I disassembled it earlier to look for any manufacturers markings on parts such as the trigger group, op rod, and bolt. I found some electropenciled numbers, but that was all. I may have missed something since I don't know what to look for or where to look for that matter. Anyone have an online resource for such things?

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
See the Online Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations!

Do you have a picture of the heel stamp?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
See the Online Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a

Thank you sir! Which link is it that I'm looking for? I'm looking in the photo gallery and have found a pic of op rods, and mine has the notch as the caption states that a USGI should. I'm completely clueless on these things.

Quoted:
Congratulations!

Do you have a picture of the heel stamp?

Thank you  No, I haven't taken a pic of the heel stamp yet. The stamping reads
POLY TECH
M-14/S
7.62 NATO
00XXX(last three numbers omitted for obvious reasons)

ETA-- I just discovered that the FSB/flash hider is slightly loose, but the nut is tight?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
machinisttx, read the Online Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development.  It is a 1.81 MB .pdf file you can download to your hard drive.  It's a link.  Click away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You won't find maker marks on a Chinese M-14/S.

Only USA Made M-1As have maker marks (usually if USGI parts.)

If someone swapped in US parts to your rifle, you would see maker marks like W (winchester, HR (Harrington & Richardson etc...)

On a Chinese M-14/S - look at the bolt and see if it has any marks.  If it is "bare" then it is the Original Chinese bolt.  Many were made of a softer steel than spec and would often grow long in headspace prematurely.  Have someone who Knows What They Are Doing check the headspace for you before you do anything else.

Also - Fitting a USGI Flashhider without additional US parts is a 922r Federal Felony No-No!

You can fit a US made stock, Us handguard, and US magazine that is 5 parts toward 922R

Just giving you the straight up word to keep you from bunking in the buttsex barracks!

BIGGER_HAMMER

EDIT to Add - Huge +1 on the Referrence Materials from DIFFERENT!  He is a Great fountain of knowledge on the M-14 / M-1A!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It was imported before November 1990.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Would I need to contact BATFE for the exact import date?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Correct, your rifle may have been imported before March 1989 but it certainly was before November 1990.  Rifles imported after November 1990 are subject to the foreign parts count regulation.

I would first try a polite and typed letter to Keng's Firearms Specialty, Inc. in Georgia.  It's a  private family business.  I met them very briefly at the 2004 SHOT Show.  My impression was very favorable.  

If it were me, I would send a letter with a photo or two of your rifle showing the serial number.  You could pose an additional alternate question asking when did their last Chinese M14 rifles arrive if the exact date for your serial number is not available.  

If Keng's is not able to provide any import date information, you could write the BATFE.  If you find something out either way, I'd appreciate what you could share for historical research purposes. [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can turn up. If I understand you and the law correctly, rifles imported prior to 1990 would not be subject to the parts count requirement? That would mean I don't need to worry about using foreign mags, or the flash hider correct?

Thanks for the help so far, and I'll be happy to share what I find out.

ETA-- just sent an email asking if they had info on import dates.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, that's clear as mud Damed feds and their goofy regulations. Mine has both KFS and CAI stamps on it so Guess I'll have to wait to hear back from KFS and/or ATF to be 100% certain.

Sounds like a plan.  Several owners of Poly Technologies M14 rifles with serial numbers 000001 through 01965 have reported both KFS and CAI markings on the barrels.  Keng's was definitely the first importer of Chinese M14 rifles into the United States.

Mine falls within that range, serial is 006xx  I wonder though, if KFS was the importer, why would it also need the CAI stamp?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I still haven't heard anything from KFS. I guess I'll have to try snail mail or a phone call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top