Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 8:54:16 AM EDT
Has anyone tried Wolf 150 gr FMJ in M1A?  Sportsman's Guide has it for $140 for 500.  I want to stock up for the revolution but am not sure of what type of ammo is good.  I actually have only used Winchester 180 grain power point so far.  I sighted it in with scope at 200 yards for deer hunting in northern Wisconsin last season.  That worked out pretty well, I had 6 doe walk in at single file around 150 yards and only 3 walked (ran) out.  The 20 round clip and low recoil let you follow up with fast and accurate shots.  I could not have done that with a bolt action.  Well, enough of the deer slaughter.  I want to start shooting it for fun with open sights and wonder what the best ammo is.  Also, is there anything you are not supposed to shoot in it?  Have a good one!

Don
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I just saw the already posted Wolf ammo question and that satisfies some of my curiosity.

Don
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the  Winchester 180 grain is too heavy a round for the gas system.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, good thing I only shot about 40 rounds of them then!  I was actually going to switch to the 150 grain for next deer season, any thoughts on these http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SXP308&bn=16&type=69 .  I have the stainless barrel loaded version that I bought new last year.  I love it for deer hunting but I sure don't want to ruin it with the wrong ammo!  I would like to use a certain type of ammo for hunting with a scope and another type for plinking.  Obviously, at $2 a round the Winchester XP3's would be way too expensive to shoot for fun!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, good thing I only shot about 40 rounds of them then!  I was actually going to switch to the 150 grain for next deer season, any thoughts on these http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SXP308&bn=16&type=69 .  I have the stainless barrel loaded version that I bought new last year.  I love it for deer hunting but I sure don't want to ruin it with the wrong ammo!  I would like to use a certain type of ammo for hunting with a scope and another type for plinking.  Obviously, at $2 a round the Winchester XP3's would be way too expensive to shoot for fun!

Someone with more experience in hunting will chime in about a good hunting round.  The general rule for the M1A bullet weight is don't go over 150 gr.
You sure don't want to go plinking with $2 a round ammo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 The general rule for the M1A bullet weight is don't go over 150 gr.

The USGI M-118 and M-118SB have a 173 gr bullet, the M-852 has a 168 gr bullet, and the M-118LR (Long Range) has a 175 gr bullet. These work just fine in the M-14 Rifle. The M-118 has been in use for over thirty years.
180 gr is usually the practical maximum weight bullet that you will see used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Reload.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USGI M-118 and M-118SB have a 173 gr bullet, the M-852 has a 168 gr bullet, and the M-118LR (Long Range) has a 175 gr bullet. These work just fine in the M-14 Rifle. The M-118 has been in use for over thirty years.

Is the a ajustment to the powder in these heaver loads as to not damage the gas system?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the a ajustment to the powder in these heaver loads as to not damage the gas system?

They move out at about 2650 fps which is about full power for a bullet that heavy. The M-80 Ball round (150 gr) does 2750. Chamber pressure is about 50K psi CUP (copper units of pressure) which is about 62K piezo (piezoelectreic pressure transducer).
The propellant is of a weight and quickness appropriate for the bullet used. No, you can't pull a 150 gr bullet and just replace it with the heavier ones over the same charge (this is just Reloading 101).
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's gas system tweaks like vented gas plugs to help the rifle live a long, happy life shooting stout loads with heavier-than-designed bullets.  The 168 or 175 isn't too big a deal though provided powders with the correct burn rates and pressure curves are used.  Shooting a stout 180 SMK (when it was available) load or the 190s today takes some tweaking with the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
308 federal premium 150 grain soft points. accurate, and i think i pay $11.50 for a box of twenty. the only deer i got a shot at this year was a medium sized button buck at @280-300 yards, fired once and saw him fall where he stood... left a 2" exit wound on the other side. if i hadnt put that scope on my M1A the week before i would have never made that shot

the year before with my 7mm. remington magnum 175 federal premium i took a ten pointer with one hit also... from about 40 yards

those are really good hunting rounds at a reasonable price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top