Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 8:22:18 PM EDT
I am in Heflin, AL tonight at the Hojo, about 11 miles from CMP.  Going there in the morning.  No definite purchases in mind.  I am going to see what they have.  I am hoping to leave with two Garands in some Grade but if they are all too shot, I may leave with nothing.  Just don't know.

I will post a report tomorrow night and take some pics while I am CMP.

I ain't gonna ask them about the carbines.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
you know as well as i do that you can't leave CMP empty handed
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
LARRYG, they have 2 carbines on display at the store reportedly. Orest said you can photograh them, try and get some for us!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Want to pick out a nice Dane FG for me and have them reserve it for me. Since I can't drive the 13+ hours from KS?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
See if you can get some intel on the backorders.

And please try and keep youself out of trouble.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Want to pick out a nice Dane FG for me and have them reserve it for me. Since I can't drive the 13+ hours from KS?

Do you have a customer number?  IM me some info.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I am curious to know what they have left, I may end up buying yet another garand from them
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
They have Rack Grade IHCs for $600, Rack Grade H&Rs for $450, Rack Grade Greeks for $395 (I think), Field Grade Danes for $425, and woodless Danes for $295.

I got a Rack Grade H&R that measured 1.7 and 1.5 and the bore is beautiful.  The wood is a little rough, but what the heck.  Original barrel and op rod.  The trigger group is SA and bolt is too.

I also got a Field Grade Danish SA 1.5 and 2.0 with a VAR barrel.

I am waiting for them to do my paperwork and posting on my EVDO wireless broadband card.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a pretty decent spread, I sent you an IM earlier this morning
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like a pretty decent spread, I sent you an IM earlier this morning

Yours has been picked out and has your name on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got a Rack Grade H&R that measured 1.7 and 1.5 and the bore is beautiful.  The wood is a little rough, but what the heck.  Original barrel and op rod.  The trigger group is SA and bolt is too.

I also got a Field Grade Danish SA 1.5 and 2.0 with a VAR barrel.

Wow, sounds like a couple great catches.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Just curious- did they have any more Winchesters tucked away?  I got a tip from a family member making the trip last week and called to get a Winchester Field Grade sent to me.  It wasn't as nice as I was hoping, but I guess I got spoiled with a Service Grade that looked practically unissued.  The Winchester was a Win-13 recevier, with weird, uneven parking, and a bad stock.  This one will be my shooter.

Any gossip about the carbines?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Good score on your Garands, LarryG. I plan on making the trip next month. Hope to get lucky and find something unusual (like the recent find of Winchester service grades).

You never know what you'll find at the South Store.

I know I never leave there empty-handed.

Come on, you must've picked up some juicy tidbits about the carbines.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just curious- did they have any more Winchesters tucked away?  I got a tip from a family member making the trip last week and called to get a Winchester Field Grade sent to me.  It wasn't as nice as I was hoping, but I guess I got spoiled with a Service Grade that looked practically unissued.  The Winchester was a Win-13 recevier, with weird, uneven parking, and a bad stock.  This one will be my shooter.

Any gossip about the carbines?

I didn't see any Winchesters, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.  From what I understand the Win-13 recievers are pretty rare.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good score on your Garands, LarryG. I plan on making the trip next month. Hope to get lucky and find something unusual (like the recent find of Winchester service grades).

You never know what you'll find at the South Store.

I know I never leave there empty-handed.

Come on, you must've picked up some juicy tidbits about the carbines.

Not anything new, April 30 and price still undetermined, but will be between $500 and $1000.

Got some pics of a couple they were showing.  Will post them sometime tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
First thing through the door; get a pair of gauges and go through the Garand racks and pick the best one (preferably with a 3 or less measurement at both ends); then go to the barrelled receiver table and repeat, then go to the barrel bins behind the barrelled receivers and repeat (start with the VAR barrels first); once you've made your choices, go to the receivers and pick one.

Now, if you still have money by this time, turn your attention to any M1903s that they might have and repeat the whole process; I snatched an M1903A1 with a 3 throat and a 4 muzzle and a C Stock from three on the rack (the other two had Scant stocks).

Add some ammo, maybe a stock set and before you leave, put a pin on the map to represent your location; mine is a red pin on top of Orlando, FL.

I had a very excellent experience when I went there; the folks at the counter are very friendly and VERY helpful. Definitely will do a second trip; once my credit card recovers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
First thing through the door; get a pair of gauges and go through the Garand racks and pick the best one (preferably with a 3 or less measurement at both ends); then go to the barrelled receiver table and repeat, then go to the barrel bins behind the barrelled receivers and repeat (start with the VAR barrels first); once you've made your choices, go to the receivers and pick one.

Now, if you still have money by this time, turn your attention to any M1903s that they might have and repeat the whole process; I snatched an M1903A1 with a 3 throat and a 4 muzzle and a C Stock from three on the rack (the other two had Scant stocks).

Add some ammo, maybe a stock set and before you leave, put a pin on the map to represent your location; mine is a red pin on top of Orlando, FL.

I had a very excellent experience when I went there; the folks at the counter are very friendly and VERY helpful. Definitely will do a second trip; once my credit card recovers.

What is the price for barrels at the South Store??
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the price for barrels at the South Store??

I think they run between $100-$200 with the VAR barrels costing $200; not 110% sure, but I think that's they way they run.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You act like I have never been there before.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#19]
The Springfield Danish Field Grade:

The H&R Rack Grade:

The two M1 Carbines they were showing:

The store:

rook85's Garand:

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Great looking guns, LarryG!
I'll be glad when they sell off a few Inland carbines so I can get a Rockola and National Postal Meter.

We need to start a CMP support group for those of us hopelessly addicted to spending money at the South Store.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We need to start a CMP support group for those of us hopelessly addicted to spending money at the South Store.

Can I join?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone have a Springfield with an HRA trigger group that they would want to swap with me for an SA trigger group?

Same question on the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I found an HRA trigger group in one of my Springfields and switched it out, so that part is taken care of.

Now, what does WRA on a bolt mean? Is that Winchester?

Also, on one trigger group, I really couldn't make it out, but it seemed to be PMD or RMD or BMB.  Anyone know what that is?  The stamping was very light.

Also, the front handguard is cracked from front to rear.  John at CMP said it was an H&R stock and hanguards.  How does he know that?  The stock itself has the same eagle stamp that my Correct Grade H&R does, but how do you tell on the handguards?

He also, at a glance, said the gas cylinder was not H&R, I think he said it was SA.  Again, how do you tell on the gas cylinder?

The op rod is definitely H&R and even has the same eagle stamp on the heel of the op rod that even my Correct Grade does not have and yes, it IS an H&R op rod.  John looked at that and was really amazed that I got a Rack Grade with that on it along with the 1.7 throat and 1.5 throat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well in my "research" lol you obviously know how many I own.
The WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms

the BMB stamp is a Breda part. The Danish bought italian rifles and parts. The Italians (Breda and Berretta got their tooling from the WWII Winchester tooling) I'm assuming that was on your Danish you picked up

Heres a link http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/Danish.htm
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well in my "research" lol you obviously know how many I own.
The WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms

the BMB stamp is a Breda part. The Danish bought italian rifles and parts. The Italians (Breda and Berretta got their tooling from the WWII Winchester tooling) I'm assuming that was on your Danish you picked up

Heres a link www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/Danish.htm

Yep, that's the one it was on.  The Winchester bolt was on one I already had.

So, if anyone has a Winchester or a Springfield with an H&R bolt, would you be interested in swapping bolts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Then you get to play the headspace games but odds are you'd be pretty lucky
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Then you get to play the headspace games but odds are you'd be pretty lucky

Yeah, I already thought of that so I will probably be picking up a set up .30-06 headspace gauges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top