Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:31:57 PM EDT
Just finished getting this all back together this evening.  Rather interesting story.  This was the first rifle I ever bought when I was old enough to buy one for myself.  It was a standard grade SA M1A that I bought brand new in 1989 for the lowly sum of $685 out the door.  Later I sent it back to Springfield for the National Match conversion package.  Then, in a fit of foolishness, I sold the crazy thing about 10 years ago to a buddy (who NEVER put a round through it) for $1200 including the scope mount.  He later sold it to another friend of his (who fired it enough to zero w/his optics and then put it away).  Always regretted selling that rifle.  Long story short,  I just bought it back a couple of weeks ago for (shhh! don't tell anyone) $850 with the mount.  Since the national match conversion was done, it has had just a little over 500 rounds down the tube.  I put about 1000 rounds through it before the conversion.  Anyway, just had it coated in a hodge-podge of desert tan, coyote and earth brown.  Did the stock myself in Coyote Alumahyde.  Luepy 3.5x10x40 M3 sits on top in low ARMS rings.  Waiting on a sling from Turner.  And yes, I'm scared to paint the Leupy.  Just wrapped it in self-grabbing desert-digital camo wrap.  How'd I do?

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That rifle looks great!! Where did you get the digital tape? I have seen that stuff before and have always wondered how it would look.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That rifle looks great!! Where did you get the digital tape? I have seen that stuff before and have always wondered how it would look.

Thanks rockasons!  The stuff is not actually "tape."  It's just an ace-bandage-type self clinging material.  Supposedly leaves no residue.  I like the way it went on and the way it holds.  Bought it HERE.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Dam that is a fine looking rifle.  How does she shoot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice !! How do you like the Arms mount ?? Everything zero up OK ??? Just paint the Lupey , once ya get the first one done the rest are easy ................

I want to scope my super match and i will have no problem painting it !!!!

Alumahyde rocks , great stuff !!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dam that is a fine looking rifle.  How does she shoot.

Thanks opti, she was consistently sub moa back then with GA Arms 168 gr SMK's.  Haven't shot it since I got it back, but I'm gonna remedy that in the morning
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice !! How do you like the Arms mount ?? Everything zero up OK ??? Just paint the Lupey , once ya get the first one done the rest are easy ................

I want to scope my super match and i will have no problem painting it !!!!

Alumahyde rocks , great stuff !!!!

The mount is an Enterprise Arms copy of a Brookfield type mount.  All steel, mates up perfectly (guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got a properly dimensioned receiver) and has always worked well for me.  I'm using ARMS #22 low rings on top.

I have painted scopes before.  Just can't bring myself to do them anymore.  Totally kills you if you ever have to sell it.

As for scoping your supermatch, GO For It!  Get yourself a Smith or a Sadlak mount and all will be well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a good lookin' rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful rifle!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the comments folks!

Went to the range this morning and sighted her back in. Same as I remember. Consistently sub-moa 5 shot groups with the GA Arms 168 gr SMK load. What's not to love? Although as I was leaving the range (with a tear in my eye no less) I did feel a little guilty for STEALING from the friend of my friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top