Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 7:15:29 PM EDT
I have a HRA CG from CMP and a formerly woodless with a new criterion bbl on it, so basically I have 2 brand new bbls on my M1's.  What kind of round counts will it take to generate the wear that it typical of a FG rifle?  

Also, I use a one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod.  Since most muzzle wear came from sectioned GI cleaning rods, can I expect to not see muzzle wear on my bbls granted I do my part to clean gently?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you on the barrel wear Napoleon but I switched to the Otis cleaning system and I don't think I will ever go back to my Dewey rods.  Give it a thought.  I am interested to hear the round counts also.  
Mike
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't sweat it.  Stick to non-corrosive ammo, clean it right and well, and it'll outlive you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys,

An M1 will advance one mark on the TE gauge approx. every 1k to 2k rounds fired, depending on how hot the load is and how much rapid fire you do.

Field Grades are supposed to have a TE of less than 5.

Do the math.  

USGI Arsenal spec-practice was to yank the barrel and replace it when TE reached 10 on the gauge.

Wear at the muzzle (MW) will vary depending on cleaning practices.  If cleaned properly the muzzle will stay decent long after the throat has headed South.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top