Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2006 7:33:45 AM EDT
I'm running a bit low on '06 for my Garand.  I was gonna order another case of Lake City from the CMP, and then I saw this Greek stuff.  Looks good to me, because it's loaded on clips in bandoliers.  Is it clean?  Is it safe?  Is it (reasonably) accurate?

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Reasonably clean, safe, shoots good, causes no problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I love it..pretty accurate too..I'll be buying more..
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Great stuff.  I literally stocked up with a lifetime + supply of Greek.  I also went a little over the top on the LC also.  That's how much I like it.   Shot a bunch of it and never had a failure of any kind.  The Greek cosmetically looks better than my 05 LC 5.56.  I would like to know how much CMP has on stock and how many rounds a month they sell.  This would give some kind of indication of how long their supply will last.  
When I saw the price of .308 go through the roof I topped off my .30-06 supply.  Good luck.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If the Greek 30.06 is anything like the .303 that camein a few yrs ago you shouldn't have any problems with it. Boxer primed as well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The Oconto Gun Club lost a match because of failures in CMP greek ammo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Oconto Gun Club lost a match because of failures in CMP greek ammo.

What ammo did the winning team use?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm running a bit low on '06 for my Garand.  I was gonna order another case of Lake City from the CMP, and then I saw this Greek stuff.  Looks good to me, because it's loaded on clips in bandoliers.  Is it clean?  Is it safe?  Is it (reasonably) accurate?

Thanks for the info!

I would buy it but shipping would kill the deal; now an ammo road trip might be in order some day.  A stop at a bunch of dealers in the middle of the country to stock up.  Just a dream today however
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The ammo issued this year at Camp Perry was Greek from Lot HPX-77.  It was horribly inaccurate (wouldn't hold the black) and it was loaded very hot.  Many people had failures to feed and extract, along with some slam fires.  Stay away from the '77 stuff.  The stuff from the late 60's I've used has been fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ammo issued this year at Camp Perry was Greek from Lot HPX-77.  It was horribly inaccurate (wouldn't hold the black) ...

That is the reason I'll never touch the crap again.

If I find out that it is to be issued at a Garand match, I simply won't attend.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The ammo issued this year at Camp Perry was Greek from Lot HPX-77.  It was horribly inaccurate (wouldn't hold the black) and it was loaded very hot.  Many people had failures to feed and extract, along with some slam fires.  Stay away from the '77 stuff.  The stuff from the late 60's I've used has been fine.

Just out of curiosity, was everyone issued the same ammo?

If so, everyone faced the same amount of difficulties, right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know either way,I just picked up my first Garand for Christmas.
Been looking around the web for info. and came across these guys.
Don't know anything about'um. A retired WWII vet that I shoot with just ordered
a case of the Greek to split with me. Close enough for us.

battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=44061
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
no compaints here.  it's the perfect ammo to get with your first garand because it comes complete with clips.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Spam can pictures.

Greek HXP-72 Pictures, CMP Forum, member Oscar post

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Just don't use the open spam can to hold the ammo in.  It's a recepie for a nice laceration
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, everyone got it.

My problem with it is that, for me, this was most likely a once in a lifetime trip to the National matches, and I have both the ability and a good enough rifle that I fully expected to be in the top 10-15%.  Instead I end up in the bottom 1/3.  No medal, no feeling of accomplishment, NO FUN, just disgusting.

I've shot several 3" groups at 200 yards with LC and reloads, although most are 4-4.5".  This stuff, for the slow prone stage I would estimate my group was about 15" as only half were in the black.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, everyone got it.

My problem with it is that, for me, this was most likely a once in a lifetime trip to the National matches, and I have both the ability and a good enough rifle that I fully expected to be in the top 10-15%.  Instead I end up in the bottom 1/3.  No medal, no feeling of accomplishment, NO FUN, just disgusting.

I've shot several 3" groups at 200 yards with LC and reloads, although most are 4-4.5".  This stuff, for the slow prone stage I would estimate my group was about 15" as only half were in the black.

That was your first problem.. over confidence...... and 15 FOOT groups??? come on.... no ammo is that bad (and slam fires are the rifles fault NOT the ammo.)... most of the problems experienced with the '77 ammo was with the bolt guns.. few Garands had any problems.. yes there was the SLIGHT decrease in scores, but who knows.. maybe it was the wind, or the excessive humidity or.......
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That was your first problem.. over confidence...... and 15 FOOT groups???

No, there is a difference between confidence in ones own abilitiy and equipment, and OVERconfidence.

Try reading my post again and you'll see I said 15" as in 15 INCHES.  HOW IN THE HE!! WOULD ANYONE ESTIMATE A 15 FOOT GROUP ON A TARGET THAT IS APPROX. 3X6 FEET???????????
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there is a difference between confidence in ones own abilitiy and equipment, and OVERconfidence.

Try reading my post again and you'll see I said 15" as in 15 INCHES.  HOW IN THE HE!! WOULD ANYONE ESTIMATE A 15 FOOT GROUP ON A TARGET THAT IS APPROX. 3X6 FEET???????????

Not calling you a liar..but is there any confirmation of your claims? Links, third party info?

I have looked and not seen any of what you are saying...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
i shot the vintage/03 match this summer at Perry, and had no problems at all with the greek,
only reason i did not medal, (i medaled in 2005) was me, not the ammo, and i have some 77 greek that i practiced with before the match,

i have shot the 77 in a garand without any issues too, but not at Perry

YMMV etc
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok.. MY mistake... 15" it is then...BUT the minute you say you 'fully expect to be in the top 10-15% '  blows your credability out the window with me....that is just being cocky and WAYY over confident in my book.......I see wayyyy too many people sayin the exact same thing about matches and tank them completely.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top