Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2006 4:37:48 PM EDT
I forgot to bring my camera to the range so I had to take pictures after I got home.  

The hardware: (springfield M1A Loaded model, with Springfield GenIII mount, no rear attachment screw, and a leupy 2 x 7 VXI with some crappy rings springfield sells.

The groups:  (background info; very calm 50 degree day up here in the chilly north maybe a 5 mph wind, 200 yards, prone with sand bags for support)

smallest group of the day, fired with the 150 grain American Eagle, although the next group looked better and I probably pulled one with the better ammo, which brings me to the Federal Gold Medal 168 grainers

Federal 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tips

and my favorite group of the day, with portugese ammo, 10 shots.

And a gratuitous shot of my son with his new lever action toy gun that actually ejects shells, it looks like wolf ammo though because it's gray.  It' right over his head:

Link Posted: 12/17/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
nice!
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The pixs with your son is soooo cool. I don't know why the SA M1 get such a bad review from members here, it looks like it groups well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The pixs with your son is soooo cool. I don't know why the SA M1 get such a bad review from members here, it looks like it groups well.

He really likes that little toy gun.  It was a birthday present.

As far as the springfield thing goes.  I've got absolutely no complaints. But people that I trust on here have had problems with them.  But hopefully springfield makes it good for everyone.  I have a 1911 that I'm not thouroughly satisfied.  It runs real good but is not up to the accuracy I would've expected.  I'm thinking about buying a Kimber now because anyone I've shot has been real nice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does he like that scope...looks like a scout type set up?  LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
That rifle is a shooter!  Its good to see someone posting groups at a little bit of distance.  Too bad that Port is unavailable these days, that was a good 10 shot group.  I'd stick to those federal 68s as a mainstay.  

If you reload, I have luck with 155gr Amax and H4895.  100yd 7/8" groups. ( Three 5 shot groups)
For a NATO alternate, Wolf Gold 150 PSPs grouped well, 7/8" at 100yds also. (two, 4 shot groups)
All goups obtained with NM irons on a STD M1A Walnut.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As far as the springfield thing goes.  I've got absolutely no complaints. But people that I trust on here have had problems with them.  But hopefully springfield makes it good for everyone.  I have a 1911 that I'm not thouroughly satisfied.  It runs real good but is not up to the accuracy I would've expected. I'm thinking about buying a Kimber now because anyone I've shot has been real nice.

?? Or did I just take that the wrong way,, LOL
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as the springfield thing goes.  I've got absolutely no complaints. But people that I trust on here have had problems with them.  But hopefully springfield makes it good for everyone.  I have a 1911 that I'm not thouroughly satisfied.  It runs real good but is not up to the accuracy I would've expected. I'm thinking about buying a Kimber now because anyone I've shot has been real nice.

'Borg

Wow, I wonder what he does with the ones that aren't nice!  j/k

and the best photos are of your lad with the happy smile!
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Borg

Wow, I wonder what he does with the ones that aren't nice!  j/k

and the best photos are of your lad with the happy smile!

Oooops.  I meant any Kimber I've shot was good. Sorry for the misuse of words.

Yes, he sure likes that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does he like that scope...looks like a scout type set up?  LOL

Well he likes the configuration, but he asked me why there was no glass in there????? (it's just a plastic tube to look through, no darn reticle)  
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That rifle is a shooter!  Its good to see someone posting groups at a little bit of distance.  Too bad that Port is unavailable these days, that was a good 10 shot group.  I'd stick to those federal 68s as a mainstay.  

If you reload, I have luck with 155gr Amax and H4895.  100yd 7/8" groups. ( Three 5 shot groups)
For a NATO alternate, Wolf Gold 150 PSPs grouped well, 7/8" at 100yds also. (two, 4 shot groups)
All goups obtained with NM irons on a STD M1A Walnut.  

Holy crap, your eyes are better than mine.  The best I can claim is a 1-3/8" 5 shot group with my garand once.  But it was a fluke.  That was the smallest I got with any irons so far.  My 03A3 is pretty accurate also.  I think I broke the 2 moa mark once with that rifle.  

Wolf Gold ha?  I might have to look into that.  And yes, if I ever see any port again, I'm jumping on it.  

I gotta learn how to handload.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]
BTT for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a very cool thread

It certainly looks like you have an excellent rifle. I too am a PORT fan. I wish that I had bought 10,000 rds of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It certainly looks like you have an excellent rifle. I too am a PORT fan. I wish that I had bought 10,000 rds of it.

Yeah, me too.  The day I bought that box of port I bought some SA battlepacks.  I shoulda took the money from the SA stuff I bought and bought more port.  Hind sight is 20/20.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got 360 rnds of Port Nato left in my stoarge.  Thinking about selling it because I shoot my handloads exclusively.  Yeah, I wish I had more money back in the day when I bought my Port for $165 per case...I should have bought about 10 cases.  

Shooting Irons sub-minute has nothing to do with downrange vision, since the target should be blurry anyways, but has most to do with keeping that front sight clear as a bell and keeping the sight picture consistent.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
nice groups

Thank you too sir.  I didn't know you kept up on the battlerifle side of this site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top