Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2006 5:02:15 AM EDT
This is the first photo released to the public of the M80 SDM rifle project.  This is a prototype M80 SDM.  Details on the barrel length and profile have not been released.  The barrel will not be chromium plated but the metallurgy has been improved to make it comparable in service life to chromium plated barrels without the slight loss of accuracy seen with plating.  Details to follow later on.  Photo courtesy of Smith Enterprise, Inc.

Link Posted: 11/21/2006 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
An I Gotta See This tag...
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in the M80 SDM barrel and the stock they plan to use.
Either the TA11E or TA55A would work well on that ACOG mount.
My choice would be the TA11E.

Thanks for the scoop Different
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But would this work in the new Troy stock?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But would this work in the new Troy stock?

Once you remove the SEI scope mount the action will drop right into the TROY MCS
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
forgive my ignorance, but i know nothing of this project.  is this for the .mil, or strictly for the civilian market?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Need more pics...!
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
More pics would be cool. What's the barrel made out of and had done to it that makes it so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Is this something that will be available to buy without having to send the rifle to Smith too?
Smith E. is tops that's no doubt but their not cheap either and there can be a wait besides.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
More pics would be cool. What's the barrel made out of and had done to it that makes it so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Is this something that will be available to buy without having to send the rifle to Smith too?
Smith E. is tops that's no doubt but their not cheap either and there can be a wait besides.

Yeah I just found that out today.  I tried to order an 18" stadard contour barrel and a few other small parts only to find out I would have to let them assemble it on my receiver.  

Does anyone know who else sells 18" M14/M1A barrels or barreled actions?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I just found that out today.  I tried to order an 18" stadard contour barrel and a few other small parts only to find out I would have to let them assemble it on my receiver.  

Yep, LRB for 18 and a 1/2 anyways. They have a good selection, but getting a barreled receiver there's gonna be a wait for sure.

LRB
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, LRB for 18 and a 1/2 anyways. They have a good selection, but getting a barreled receiver there's gonna be a wait for sure.

LRB

I'll get the receiver from West Texas Armory and in the mean time I've ordered the LRB 18.5", Medium Weight, DMR contured, chromelined, 1:10" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LRB

I'll get the receiver from West Texas Armory and in the mean time I've ordered the LRB 18.5", Medium Weight, DMR contured, chromelined, 1:10" barrel.

Word is that WTA is closed for "restructuring".
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LRB

Word is that WTA is closed for "restructuring".

Well then a receiver from Armscorp!
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, fill me in here.  Is the military testing a commercial made prototype of a copy of the M14 for an SDM rifle????
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
forgive my ignorance, but i know nothing of this project.  is this for the .mil, or strictly for the civilian market?

The M80 SDM is for the military.  SEI is developing the M80 right now.  There's more information on the way.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
so uncle sam is buying NEW M14s?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Doesn't look like an M14 to me.  There's something missing.  I'll guess it'll be called an M80.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I don't have all the facts on the M80.  What I think the M80 is will be a new configuration of a 1960s production USGI M14 receiver.  Commercial M14 receivers are fairly easy to obtain so that's my guess as to why they are using one for the M80 prototype pictured.  I do have more information but I'm being careful as to what I post.  I'm not being coy.  I've had the honor to be entrusted with information that will be revealed in due time and I want to keep that trust level high.

I have found that there's a GRAIN of truth to the rumor that the military bought M1A rifles.  What happened was the U. S. Air Force has four M1A rifles converted to .300 WSM by gunsmith extraordinaire Bruce Dow in Florida.  This was within the last three years.  AFAIK, that was it, just the four rifles.  I hope to get further information.  Yes, the previous sentence is soaked in understatement.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Different is quite correct here.  Testing is being conducted on several receiver types and the barrel will most likely lend itself to commercially manufactured receivers.  Just keep in mind that the essence of this project is the barrel that is designed meet the requirements of the rifleman with high sustained rates of fire and the designated marksman and both over time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just keep in mind that the essence of this project is the barrel that is designed
meet the requirements of the rifleman with high sustained rates of fire and the
designated marksman and both over time.

When will complete M80 SDM details be made public

Link Posted: 11/22/2006 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#21]
It is still evolving.  My best guess is that you will see one at the SHOT Show.  Remember -- the difference is essentially the barrel.    
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It is still evolving.  My best guess is that you will see one at the SHOT Show.  Remember -- the difference is essentially the barrel.    

So, it's a high quality accurate barrel made to last and headspace on both USGI and Non GI receivers ... ?
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, it's a high quality accurate barrel made to last and headspace on both USGI and Non GI receivers ... ?

No, it is designed for USGI receivers, much as is their very limited run PN 2027 barrel that you have on your MK14.  It is my understanding that the factory will make them available to civilians but that fitment to aftermarket receivers must be done at SEI.
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is designed for USGI receivers, much as is their very limited run PN 2027 barrel that you have on your MK14.  It is my understanding that the factory will make them available to civilians but that fitment to aftermarket receivers must be done at SEI.

Understood.  Thanks mach6

Not to hijack, but I sure hope SEI has another limited run of 2027s ~ only 6 made it into civilian hands ~ what a sweet shooter!

Now to figure out how I can get my hands on a M80 SDM rifle...
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  This is possibly just the ticket; a sorta do everything barrel.  I gotta pass this on to my CO.  We're getting M14s next month and this just sounds so right.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2006 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wow.  This is possibly just the ticket; a sorta do everything barrel.  I gotta pass this on to my CO.  We're getting M14s next month and this just sounds so right.  

Yeah, just be careful how you...staff your upgrades.  Lower profile ther better...if you get my drift. There's lots of drones in uniform who want the M14 DOA like right now.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
So, will I be able to buy one next year?  Is SEI going to make his own receivers again?  Last I spoke to him, he had everything he needed to do it, but time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Cough*cough*,................................TiAIN

Happy ThanksGiving all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/23/2006 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#30]
 What stock is the M80 SDM Rifle being built in?  Something new?  Something old?
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for any new info.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't believe no one has noticed or said anything about that being a ChiCom receiver. Notice the hole in the receiver ring?

Not that it's a bad thing, just that I don't believe it to be a Smith Ent. or any other US receiver.

ChiCom forged is good. Smith Ent. magic on ChiCom forged is better!

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I can't believe no one has noticed or said anything about that being a ChiCom receiver. Notice the hole in the receiver ring?

Not that it's a bad thing, just that I don't believe it to be a Smith Ent. or any other US receiver.

ChiCom forged is good. Smith Ent. magic on ChiCom forged is better!

AIRBORNE!

To conduct Proof of Concept testing for the M80 SDM, the Polytech receiver is fine as the parameters are known (and certainly by SEI more than anyone else).  What was disclosed above was an early test mule releasable for public viewing. As to building an M80 SDM for test purposes on a now collectable Smith receiver, that would prove nothing for the program.  The SEI receivers are simply out of production and will remain so for the near-to-mid term.

Actually, the M80 SDM is being tested on a number of receivers, to include USGI types. this includes barrel configurations.  So please don't get your panties in a wad folks about what the definitive barrel will look like. As to the stock, same goes here: there are myriad options -- most of which are known to the readership.  Much depends on the formal (TBD) user requirement. Yes, the Sage is an option and yes, there are folks anxious to promote the new Troy.  Again, the user drives the train. Also, there are other stock options coming down the road that may and should prove to be more cost effective for the taxpayer and consumer alike.  Don't ask for details -- not happening. There will also be certain aspects of the M80 SDM that will simply not be available to to the civilian public -- it is after all a military project.    
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Tag for new info update
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#35]
any more news or information?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#36]
One will be delivered to Department of the the Army for testing and component safety cerrtification, sans optics, in the not-to-distant future.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Ron Smith called me yesterday to go over the upgrades he's going to perform on my Crazy Horse MK14.
Among other things, he will replace the Springfield receiver with a Norinco and give my existing barrel the M80 HT.
Several other items will also get the M80 HT and he will update the rifle as needed.

I will end up with a MK14 SEI M80 SDM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ron Smith called me yesterday to go over the upgrades he's going to perform on my Crazy Horse MK14.
Among other things, he will replace the Springfield receiver with a Norinco and give my existing barrel the M80 HT.
Several other items will also get the M80 HT and he will update the rifle as needed.

Does this constitute a whole new rifle?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this constitute a whole new rifle?

Nope - it's just an upgrade on a 2 year old SEI build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top