Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 11:08:59 AM EDT
I've decided to buy my first (I'm not even going to try to kid myself) M1 and I have two questions.

First, it seems everyone here is buying field grade or woodless rifles.  I want a rifle that shoots well without having to rebarrel and doesn't look crappy.  Is there a reason I shouldn't be buying a service grade...?   The wait doesn't bother me.  I guess I'm asking if the extra $$ is worth it.

Second, do these rifles have to be shipped to an FFL?  I don't have a C & R yet, but on their webpage it seems like they will ship directly to me, requiring only an adult signature.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Service grades are gone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose thats a good reason not to order one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I believe Service grades are gone.

Not gone, just 90-120 delivery time
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
My own first CMP rifle order arrived. Only 2 weeks! Not my first garands though.
Numbers 242xxxx and 297xxxx.
242 looks has a pretty beat up stock, big chip in the top of the buttstock. Found a new shoelace in the buttstock! :)
Did the bullet test, it stopped just a hair short of the casemouth. I have no way of checking TE. Stamped trigger guard, '47 barrel. Will probably be a DGR candidate if its not a decent shooter, or at least first in line for a trip to DGR if it is. The front handguard seems a little "fat", like a boyds stock.

297 came with a milled guard, bullet showed 3/16" in the muzzle test. Rear handguard had a couple of wedges or whatever they are on the top across a crack to fix it. '52 barrel. Stock dinged up.

Neither stock has cartouches, just serial numbers.

Sorry, no pics at this time.

2 cases of greek arriving tomorrow. :)

John
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Go w/ the service grade.  Mine looks beautiful & shoots great.  I got it back when the wait was 6 months & believe me it was worth it.  I'm looking at a field grade so I can convert it to .308 & have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Myself and several other guys in my unit over here ordered rifles...one of my peers, being single with no expenses at home, bought two garands, a 1903 and a 1917.  I ordered one field grade, knowing my plan was to rebuild it.  The service grade will be guaranteed better condition being up to spec.  A new stock from Boyds is like 80 dollars, and would be easy to take care of.  If you know you do not want to work on it, I would say the extra $125 is worth it.  I'm still contemplating getting another one...but I'd leave that one be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Orest has recently stated that they have recently been finding more service grades. They will fill existing orders first and then new orders will be next. If you already plan on getting another one (or five....let's face reality here), I would try and score a field grade and a service grade. That way you will have something to shoot and tinker with during your wait for the service grade!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent out the paperwork for a service grade yesterday.  

You are a VERY BAD man Rockasons------->   (goes to print out more order forms)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, ain't it great!

I started off in your shoes a few years back. Got a USGI Service Grade for my first garand. Then some rack grades, a few receivers, and an IHC from Scott Duff. I now have six and that is still not enough. It is truly an "-itis" of sorts.

The rifle itself (as far as aesthetics go) does not have too many variations. There are M1D's, M1C's, and Tankers (T-26). But you then want to collect manufacturer's and serial number ranges. You also want a National Match or two....maybe one chambered in .308. Finally, "correct" rifles are another symptom of the disease. Oh yeah, I forgot about the Italian receivers. To sum it up, the Garand IS the greatest battle implement ever devised. You can have numerous variations in the AR15 platform. The Garand is what it is and still has HUGE following.

Anyway, enjoy your new rifles. I guarantee that your wait will be well worth it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top