Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 4:20:43 PM EDT
Greetings from Rhode Island.

I'm on the market to purchase my first M1 Garand.  While I'm familiar with the rifle's storied history, I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for - I was hoping that the group may be able to point me in the right direction.

In no particular order my requirements are as follows:

- Manufactured circa WWII
- Chambered in .30-06
- Very good condition

The best quality rifles that the CMP has in stock are service grade (90 to 120 day delivery).  While I certainly intend to shoot this rifle (it will not be a safe queen or hanging over the mantle) I think that correct grade may be more in line with my preferences.

I have my C&R FFL and a local dealer to work with who specializes in collectable firearm sales.

I'm looking to own a piece of history and would appreciate any pointers that you folks might have to offer along the lines of:

- Links?
- FAQs?
- Forums?
- Make / model recommendations?
- Wear specifications / tolerances?
- Known issues / things to look out for?
- Dealers other than the CMP?
- Anything else?

Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to reply.

- Brian
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
try these links

scott duff

garand collectors assn, lot's of nice rifles for sale in the newsletter

orion 7

CSP, go to the M1/M14 section, great info available

HTH
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Drive or fly to Toledo or Anniston and go pick yours out after you finish your research.

Trust me when I tell you its well worth it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
neither here nor there, but you don't need an FFL to receive a CMP rifle, and service grade is NOT the best you can get from CMP.... the south store has COLLECTOR GRADES available on the shelf for 1400.  The down side on this is IIRC they are all post war rifles.

Don't bother going anywhere other than the CMP- it's just not worth it.  CMP is the best game in town.  I'm not sure what your price range is, but if money is no big issue, i would strongly reccomend a trip to anniston and go hand pick a collector grade.  shit, take the family on a vacation to chatanooga or atlanta.  it's only about 1.5 hours from ATL and maybe 2 hours from 'nooga.  

you will NEVER regret the money you invest in a garand, lord knows i havnt.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#4]
brian,

Given that you want a Correct Grade M1, what are you willing to pay???

The CMP was selling Corrects for $900 before they ran out. The street price now is much higher than that...

Re "Other Dealers": There really are no other dealers of genuine USGI M1 rifles than the CMP. Anyone else who is selling M1 rifles is either re-selling rifles that originally came out of CMP (at MUCH higher prices) or are putting them together from refinished parts or making them from new commercial repro parts.

To get the Real Deal, the CMP is the only true original source.

Note: there ARE some re-import M1 rifles out there that came back from Korea in the 80's before the USGI import ban started back up. These will have import marks on the barrels and may have Korean markings on the wood. Some of these were OK, but many-most have been through the wringer and then some. These are generally referred to as "Blue Sky" or "Excell" M1's from the names of the importers.

Again, how much are you willing to pay for a genuine "Correct Grade" M1??

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
brian,

Given that you want a Correct Grade M1, what are you willing to pay???

The CMP was selling Corrects for $900 before they ran out. The street price now is much higher than that...

Re "Other Dealers": There really are no other dealers of genuine USGI M1 rifles than the CMP. Anyone else who is selling M1 rifles is either re-selling rifles that originally came out of CMP (at MUCH higher prices) or are putting them together from refinished parts or making them from new commercial repro parts.

To get the Real Deal, the CMP is the only true original source.

Note: there ARE some re-import M1 rifles out there that came back from Korea in the 80's before the USGI import ban started back up. These will have import marks on the barrels and may have Korean markings on the wood. Some of these were OK, but many-most have been through the wringer and then some. These are generally referred to as "Blue Sky" or "Excell" M1's from the names of the importers.

Again, how much are you willing to pay for a genuine "Correct Grade" M1??

Also, almost forgot.....  The Correct Grade rifles the CMP was selling are all post WWII.  For a Correct or Collector grade rifle from WWII I hope you have DEEEPP pockets.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
My .02 is to get a CMP "shooter".

Shoot the crap outa it.

If the bug bites, your second Garand should be a "collector"

Just my .02.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have stated, CMP is your best source for these rifles. IMHO the service grade rifles will be the best bang for the buck. If you want a Service or Correct grade rifle I suggest you get your stuff together now and get one ordered.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If the bug bites...

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

"if"
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the bug bites...

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

"if"

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Remember the first rule of Battle Rifle Disease?

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT BRD!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If the bug bites...

I believe you meant "when" the bug bites. All it takes is one to get you started.
Garanditis is real, it's fun, and it is expensive. Consider yourself warned.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I would definately consider CMP my first choice. You know what you are getting and they have the best deal anywhere IMHO. If you go elsewhere, beware of welded receivers and higher prices for rifles you do not know the history of.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought  CMP was sold out of service grades.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought  CMP was sold out of service grades.

more or less they are, but you can still mail order them for a LONG wait.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to everyone for your valued input – I knew AR15.com was the right place to go for quality advice!

I’m definitely going to procure this rifle through the CMP and I agree that a service grade rifle is a good place to start – I’ll be placing my order at the beginning of December.  I’ll be sure to provide an update after I receive my Garand – I can’t wait!

Thanks again.

- Brian
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#15]
According to the CMP website, they are out of Correct Grade and Collector Grade and are not accepting orders for either.

They do have Rack Grade and Field Grade in stock.  If there was some way for you to get to the Ohio store or Anniston store, you could probably find a Field Grade that gauges out like a Service Grade but have crappy wood or worn finish.  That is what my last one is.

As noted, the Service Grade rifles are 90 plus days backlogged.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
According to the CMP website, they are out of Correct Grade and Collector Grade and are not accepting orders for either.

They do have Rack Grade and Field Grade in stock.  If there was some way for you to get to the Ohio store or Anniston store, you could probably find a Field Grade that gauges out like a Service Grade but have crappy wood or worn finish.  That is what my last one is.

they have collector grade on the shelf at Anniston
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they have collector grade on the shelf at Anniston

$1400 will get you a Collector Grade Garand at ther CMP South Store; I was there a couple of weeks back and they had about 30 of 'em. So get 'em while you still can.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a rack grade for your WWII garand, then buy a collector grade at the South Store. Trust me, one will not be enough anyway!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey bwilliams.  If your up for a trip to the Anniston store pick me up a collectors grade.  I am in RI also.  If you want to we could do a two driver overnight run and pick a couple up.  Let me know.  I will call Anniston tomorrow to see if they still have them.
Mike

Edited to add.  It's a longer ride than I thought.  South store is 1142 miles and north store is 711 mi.  I will call the north store first.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey bwilliams.  If your up for a trip to the Anniston store pick me up a collectors grade.  I am in RI also.  If you want to we could do a two driver overnight run and pick a couple up.  Let me know.  I will call Anniston tomorrow to see if they still have them.
Mike

Edited to add.  It's a longer ride than I thought.  South store is 1142 miles and north store is 711 mi.  I will call the north store first.

GOT ONE-COLECTOR GRADE.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

GOT ONE-COLECTOR GRADE.  

Mandatory "post pics" entry.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

GOT ONE-COLECTOR GRADE.  

Mandatory "post pics" entry.

As soon as it arrives from CMP i will report back w/pics
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

GOT ONE-COLECTOR GRADE.  

how did you pull that off? did they agree to ship from the south store?
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#24]
As luck would have it, I got everything I needed (CMP affiliated club membership renewal / C&R license renewal) on 2006-11-20 and when I went to place the order, sure enough – the CMP is sold out of service grade rifles.

Given the lead times and warnings from the various groups that I had posted to, this does not come as a surprise – such is life.

So, my question to the group is should I bother with a field grade rife at this time or should I pony up a few more dollars and try to find a better quality rifle from a private seller?

I guess my real concern at this point is how the throat and muzzle wear spec out on the field grade rifles.  I want to shoot this rifle as well as appreciate it for the piece of history that it is – throat erosion and nicked crowns (that may be more evident in field grade) make me a little cautious.

Your thoughts?

As always – the group’s input is much appreciated – thanks.

- Brian
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Either wait and pay attention (the CMP's likely going to get in more SG rifles in the next couple of months) or go with a Field grade and stick a note onto your order requesting a good barrel.

As long as you keep your request simple, they'll generally attempt to satisfy.

Ty
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Am I confused or is it possible to go to the store and pick out a rifle? Also, if I hold a C&R and am a Vet, what else do I need to do? Is this a "cash-and-carry" situation or is there more to it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Am I confused or is it possible to go to the store and pick out a rifle? Also, if I hold a C&R and am a Vet, what else do I need to do? Is this a "cash-and-carry" situation or is there more to it?

If you are a veteran, US citizen, and over 18, then you are good to go.
They take cash, credit cards, or checks. The only negative thing on your part is you won't be able to escape Alabama's criminally high sales tax by having it shipped to your house.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#28]
You may also want to consider the Garand Guy.

He comes highly recommended on some of the M1 forums.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

GOT ONE-COLECTOR GRADE.  

how did you pull that off? did they agree to ship from the south store?

I was skimming the CMP forums and apparently if you call Anniston they will hold a CG  rifle for you but your papaerwork has to get there within a matter of days or the rifle will be put back out. You don't get to pick, but it will be a CG.

Also, the HRA CGs seem to be gone now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only negative thing on your part is you won't be able to escape Alabama's criminally high sales tax by having it shipped to your house.

Oh yes you can!  I shipped my CG home and saved $90 by avoiding the sales tax.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I went to a gun show today.  What are basically SG, FG, and RG going for $800 and up.  Better get'em while the getting is good at CMP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#32]

I slept and I lost out on any M1 ownership opportunities through the CMP – shame on me.  Can the group offer any opinions on Orion7 or Garand Guy?  Both dealers seem to be quality outfits – anything I should look out for or are there any additional directions / recommendations on procuring that elusive Garand of my dreams?

Thanks again to the group – I appreciate all of your help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I slept and I lost out on any M1 ownership opportunities through the CMP – shame on me.  Can the group offer any opinions on Orion7 or Garand Guy?  Both dealers seem to be quality outfits – anything I should look out for or are there any additional directions / recommendations on procuring that elusive Garand of my dreams?

The CMP has not ran out of Garands... yet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The CMP has not ran out of Garands... yet.

But don't waste any time this go round.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Good news – my battle grade Springfield Armory M1 Garand rifle from Orion7 Enterprises is set to ship this week!

In addition to Scott A. Duff’s book, “The M1 Garand: Owner's guide”, what else do I need?

I’d like to know what the group's recommendations are for Garand-specific care and cleaning supplies.  As this is my first Garand, what else can the veteran owners tell me about maintaining this fine rifle?

As always, your input is genuinely appreciated - thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only negative thing on your part is you won't be able to escape Alabama's criminally high sales tax by having it shipped to your house.

Oh yes you can!  I shipped my CG home and saved $90 by avoiding the sales tax.

I believe the OP is from Alabama, so he won't be able to avoid the sales tax. Just like being in Ohio and having the North Store is a double-edged sword. When the North Store stock was picked over, it was probably better to order straight from Anniston, but then we got stuck with both shipping and sales tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top