Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2006 11:02:26 AM EDT
I just got this from my uncle who whch belonged to my Grandad who fought In WWII  Pacific Theatre and as a glider pilot this was his Actual weapon broughtback (That I am unsure of)Cause My unclde can tell some tall tales... Could soilders from WWII bring back or buy their weapons?

Its marked Natinnal postalmeter and the barrel says Buffalo arms  "43 W/ a  grenade logo on it"  Well it has regular peep sights that slide foward I guess style 1 sights. Loks to be in fair shape and looks to be Safe to shoot.

Now I dont plan on selling it but what is soemthing like this worth for the purpose of insurance.

If this is the wrong forum can you direct to some good forums for these guns?

thanks

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just got this from my uncle who whch belonged to my grandad who fought In WWII and as a glider pilot this was his Actual weapon broughtback (That I am unsure of) .. Could soilders from WWII bring back or buy their weapons?

Its marked Natinnal postalmeter and the barrel says Buffalo arms  "43 W/ a  grenade logo on it"  Well it has regular peep sights that slide foward I guess style 1 sights. Loks to be in fair shape and looks to be Safe to shoot.

Now I dont plan on selling it but what is soemthing like this worth.

If this is the wrong forum can you direct to some good forums for these guns?

thanks

Without going to GunsAmerica.com and Gun.Broker.com to check what people are asking today, I'd say you're looking at the $800 neighborhood -- say somewhere between $600 and $1,000. At least that's what a dealer in my universe would likely ask. M1 Carbines without import stamps have really shot up in value. Of course, some people are just plain stupid about it and think that these things are worth $2,000. Personally, I think that's a bit silly but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
In theory Vets were only to bring back enemy weapons with the proper paperwork.

In practice, a lot of M1 Garands, Carbines, and 1911's, found their way home.

Unfortunately, since there is no paperwork on the US manufactured weapons, it's hard to prove that it is a "bring back". It will however, be worth more since it does not have an import mark.

All imported weapons were to have a certificate. My Grandfather brought back a Nazi marked CZ-27. His paperwork is below:

Av.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Avalon

Thanks for posting the "bring Back" cert.

It helps to show people what those rare documents look like. I have seen others and they are all simlar to this. All mentioning mode of transport ( either duffel bag or Mail)of the item. And all were signed by a Officer in direct comand of the serviceman in question.

These Certificates were only for captured weapons.

Those that did not have a cert were taking their chances.

JR

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I am unsure if my uncle was telling the truth on if it was a bringback weapon or imported since my unlce likes to tell tall tales.

IF it was an "import"what would the value be about? wHERE WOULD THE IMPORT MARKS ME BE ON THE RIFLE IF IT WAS AN IMPORT?

I dont want to sell it but for incsurance purposes I need to get an approxiamate value

Thnaks for the response so far and a pic of that rare documnet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am unsure if my uncle was telling the truth on if it was a bringback weapon or imported since my unlce likes to tell tall tales.

IF it was an "import"what would the value be about? wHERE WOULD THE IMPORT MARKS ME BE ON THE RIFLE IF IT WAS AN IMPORT?

I dont want to sell it but for incsurance purposes I need to get an approxiamate value

Thnaks for the response so far and a pic of that rare documnet.

Import marking would be on the barrel or on the receiver.

Blue Sky Imports imported a lot back in the day, I think they marked all of theirs on the barrels.

Edit: Import markings were not required before 1968.

Does the Carbine have a bayonet lug? That will help date it.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It's unlikely it was actually a "bring back".
The adjustable rear sight wasn't common on Carbines in Europe, being a very late war item that just didn't make it to the ETO much before the war ended.

Likely, this was added to the Carbine as part of a post-war rebuild program.

During the 1960's, a LOT of M1 Carbines were sold by the Director of Marksmanship program through the NRA.
These sold for $20.00: $17.50 for the carbine, $2.50 for UPS shipping.
In the mid-60's these flooded the surplus market and were very common.

A lot of people get confused about "bring-backs".  The only way to bring back a USGI weapon was by stealing it.
People would sometimes look the other way on 1911 pistols, but they were Hell on people trying to take off with M1 rifles and Carbines.

Where the confusion comes in, is a lot of vets bought surplus GI Carbines and later told their kids "This is the rifle I carried in the war".  What they really meant is "This is the TYPE of rifle...".
The kids took it to be the very SAME rifle he carried.

I once saw a near fist fight at a gun show over whether a National Ordnance 1960's commercial carbine was the actual carbine a man's dad had carried during the Battle of the Bulge.
Again, the old man had SAID "This is the rifle I carried....".
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
$300-400 real world. Doesn't appear to be in verygood shape.

Insurance $ 800. Check your policy, most home owners insurance has a limited firearms coverage gen < $2k so if you have more than that you may wan't to get a rider on your policy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Insurance $ 800. Check your policy, most home owners insurance has a limited firearms coverage gen < $2k so if you have more than that you may wan't to get a rider on your policy.

Even with that high wood stock and no bayo lug?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I want to live in your world.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to live in your world.

me too , it should be worth at least $600
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Other than having a glossy stock, it's hard to determine how god or bad the carbine is - the pictures are blurry.

Even if it's a beater, $600 would be a low figure. Put a good USGI stock on it and you might be pushing $800+ depending on the condition of everything else.

Av.

I have not seen a $300 - $400 Carbine in YEARS. They don't exist anymore.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's unlikely it was actually a "bring back".
The adjustable rear sight wasn't common on Carbines in Europe, being a very late war item that just didn't make it to the ETO much before the war ended.

Granddad fought in the pacific theatre if that helps.I kknow he spent time in Guam and new guinena.

He passed away 15 years ago when I was 14.
I wish i would have asked more questions about his time in the war.

He did tell me he paid Natives with PICS my unlce now owns. $1 for each jap soilder head they brought back to camp.. Pretty grusome...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I bought one a couple months ago but it was cheap because someone had drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope mount. Fortunately the holes were on the side and with a replacement stock you can barely see the filler screws. Not collectable but it's a fine shooter . . .
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Modified stock with cracked out recoil lug area and void of markings isn't worth much even if highwood. Finish looks like it has been reblued/cold blued. It just isn't a very nice carbine.

PM did only used flip sites.

I have bough 4-5 nice GI import Kor-Israeli carbines in the last 2 years for less than $ 325 ea and an all correct nice early Inland for $ 600. I even past on a Beauty of a DCM sales rebuilt inland with Bayo for $ 700.

It must suck to be in a part of the country were S-box carbines are $ 600 plus !
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see better pics of it. I-cut stock, adjustable sight and a type 2 band. I'd say the finish is worn, not redone. The pics aren't really good enough for anything other than to say it's an M1 Carbine that's been overhauled.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
For insurance purposes, I do not think that 700-800 is unreasonable at all. It just depends on what YOU think it is worth after you have gathered the opinions of others (along with a little current market value research). By the way, NICE RIFLE! I think know that you will enjoy the rifle based on the value of inheritance. Plus, it's a helluva' carbine!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Check the sereal number on Springfield Research Services:

http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Av.

Just gotta' keep your eyes open. They are out there. I bought a pretty nice Inland on the EE for $350.00 last year. Just needed a USGI stock to be "original".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top