Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 1:37:51 PM EDT
I'm a firm believer  that I should have a light on my long guns that are meant to protect me and mine. I've held off always looking for a good deal. Well I found one. I bought a light from G&R Tactical and I'm very happy. The shipping was very, very fast and I have what I believe to be a great product.

shipped with the mount, tape switch, light, batteries the whole deal.
Right now I have 300 rounds of .308 on the bulb. It still works.

www.gandrtactical.com/grlights.htm

mm
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you mount the picatinny rail to the side of your stock?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How did you mount the picatinny rail to the side of your stock?

This is a section of rail removed from a PRI carbon fiber free float tube.  USGI synthetic stocks are already "inletted" in the gas piston area inside the stock.  Two holes, and a small shim between the front rail screw and the stock to align the light beam with the POA and centerline of the bore.  

Paladin

shim size determined by:

(width at rear screw) - (width at front screw) = x

x/2 = shim thickness
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm a firm believer  that I should have a light on my long guns that are meant to protect me and mine.

+1

Also, nice job modifying your stock.  You made what I would consider to be the two most practical modifications to your rifle.

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I just put a rail on my SOCOM stock because you inpired me...I used 2500 pound epoxy...and can secure it with screws if I need to, but I think the epoxy will be enough...only range sessions will tell
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the slow response time on my end.
PALADIN hit it dead on.
I picked up the rail at a funshow. It's made to go on an AR with regular hand guards.

It came with three screws and the nuts here.

I dremeled out the stock to fit the nuts and mounted the rail. I also used some rubber "O" rings to help isolate shock. I'm not sure if it really helps. I blew out a cheaper light on this set up and found the deal from Grant.

I also loc-tited the screws down.I think I'm going to get another ring for the light. It might not need it but I'd feel better about it.

mark
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, after seeing how both of you used screws to attach the rail...I decided to do the same

I went to Home Depot and got some T-nuts and screws...I then had to grind the T-nuts down with a Dremel to get them to perfectly fit where I wanted them on the inside of the stock...The rail was already attached with 2500 pound epoxy, so I simply drilled the holes, and screwed the screws into the T-nuts with permanent red locktite..ground the screws flush with the Dremel...then shot a little black onto the screws to match and VOILA! ...the pics are before I ground the screws down

What do you think?

I modded it one more time with some black hex head screws I found...here's the final product!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you nailed it....errr srcewed it good

Have you mounted a light to it to see if it needs shimmed. The contour of the stock will put your light beam to the left of you POA.

looks good!!

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top