Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:09:03 AM EDT
Alight, a little background...

I went to the range yesterday with my SA M1A. I have put 300 match reloads through her so far with the cheap-o Leapers mount and rings that were thrown-in with it and have had no problems so far. Correction -- HAD no problems. I had 15 rounds left yesterday and decided I was going to fire-off 10 rounds as fast as I could and see if I could get the scope to lose zero. Sure enough... when I went to slow-fire the last 5 rounds my zero was gone. So when I got home last night I removed my SA 2nd Gen 4-14X56 scope and checked the mount for loosness. There was NO play in the mount, It's ROCK solid, just like it's always been. When I mounted it, I blue thread-locked the crap out of it, and also put a heavy duty lock-washer on the main screw. And the thing is SOLID. But the zero is gone. Could be the scope for all I know. Dunno.

But at this point I'm considering getting one of the Smith Weaver mounts that they've had on clearance for a while (if there are any left). Do any of you guys have any real experience with this mount? I am wondering if it's basically as good as the more expensive 1913 mount. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The Smith weaver base mount is just as good as the Picatinny mount for more money. The original Brookfield mount was a weaver arrangement. With all the Picatinny based optic systems and such the weaver rail is fading out. If it's a Smith you won't go wrong
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My Smith weaver mount came yesterday and I just got it installed tonite.  From outward appearances this is one very well executed mount.  Extremely easy to install and fits my M1A like a glove.  I'm gonna run an Aimpoint on top of it for awhile and maybe later go with some nice longrange glass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My Smith weaver mount came yesterday and I just got it installed tonite.  From outward appearances this is one very well executed mount.  Extremely easy to install and fits my M1A like a glove.  I'm gonna run an Aimpoint on top of it for awhile and maybe later go with some nice longrange glass.

Thanks for the info guys!

I am wavering between the Aimpoint 9000L with 1MOA dot and the Super Sniper 10X42M. Different scopes for different missions. That red dot sure would be light and handy for the close stuff though. But I've read enough now to know that if I choose to go with another long-range scope, the SS stuff is the way to go for anything less than about a grand. I don't mind the lack of variable power like some do, but I do wish they come-out with a 50mm objective to let some more light in there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top