Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 7:00:44 PM EDT
I saw a "Universal" M1 carbine fore sale for around $350. Is that normal? Seems like a good deal, are they worth that much for a reasion?

Oh and here is a nice stupid question for you guys, why do all M1 carbines have a slot cut out at the rear of their stocks?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Universal carbines are not milspec. Yes they are that price for a reason, BUT that price is a bit low. And I do have a Universal that has been 100% since the day I bought it.

USGI carbine prices are getting up there but there are still some deals out there. I recently bought an Inland that needed a bit of work for $350.00. Those deals are getting scarce.

If you only get one, get an original. You will not be disappointed.

The slot in the buttstock is for the oiler/sling attachment point.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the biggest difference from the universal and milspec? I am looking to one day turn it into a HEZI SM-1 so I dont want to really modify something origional that should stay stock. How are they compared to an AR?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a clue what a HEZI SM-1 is.

The Universal doesn't use a lot of, if any, milspec parts. Earlier versions may have used some GI parts. So parts replacement could be an issue. But mine has never broken. Yet.

Compared to an AR? The M1 carbine is a light, fairly accurate, easy handling natural pointing weapon. It fires a round (.30 carbine) equivalent to a very potent pistol round. It's a fun gun that would be great for home defense, light game or plinking.

The AR is a very accurate and very versatile weapons system that can be adapted and configured to fill almost any weapons need. It fires a high velocity small caliber bullet in various weights to fulfill  different tasks. And the AR platform can also be configured to fire pistol rounds. Heck you can even get a set up that alows you to fire .30 carbine using M1 carbine mags. Caliber adapters range in size from .17 mach2 up to .50 BMG.

The M1 carbine is a lot of fun. But if you can only have one of the two, get the AR.

ETA just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
$ 350 for a S-Box Universal is way too much, $ 200 tops if it runs.

The cut out is for the oil bottle & sling. All full stock G.I. M1 carbines have it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
$ 350 for a S-Box Universal is way too much, $ 200 tops if it runs. How bout $400 for an excellent condition, AMAC carbine with replaced the old barrel band with a lugged, comes with sling, oiler, several 15 rd mags, a couple of 30rd mags, and a reproduction muzzle cover, it was blued but is now parkerized.

The cut out is for the oil bottle & sling. All full stock G.I. M1 carbines have it.

Really only $200? Whats s-box. When you say "if I runs" you mean like a rifle in need of repair? Im looking for a rifle in really good condition.

Quoted:
I don't have a clue what a HEZI SM-1 is.

The Universal doesn't use a lot of, if any, milspec parts. Earlier versions may have used some GI parts. So parts replacement could be an issue. But mine has never broken. Yet.

Compared to an AR? The M1 carbine is a light, fairly accurate, easy handling natural pointing weapon. It fires a round (.30 carbine) equivalent to a very potent pistol round. It's a fun gun that would be great for home defense, light game or plinking.

The AR is a very accurate and very versatile weapons system that can be adapted and configured to fill almost any weapons need. It fires a high velocity small caliber bullet in various weights to fulfill  different tasks. And the AR platform can also be configured to fire pistol rounds. Heck you can even get a set up that alows you to fire .30 carbine using M1 carbine mags. Caliber adapters range in size from .17 mach2 up to .50 BMG.

The M1 carbine is a lot of fun. But if you can only have one of the two, get the AR.

ETA just my opinion.

The HEZI SM-1 is a bullpup rifle conversion from ADvanced Combat Systems out of Israel. Its supposed to be much higher quality than other bullpup conversions like from muzzelite.

I think the M1 sounds more for me. Especially after the HEZI conversion haha. I dont have to have one. But after buying this I wont be able to buy the AR for probably a few years. Do most indoor ranges allow .30? I see its velocity is just under 2000FPS.

I would think something called "universal" would have a plethora of parts haha.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
S-Box \ 'shit-box \  Junk gun. aka POS.

Runs as in works, functions .

$ 200 would be generous for any Universal !
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

$ 200 would be generous for any Universal !

True, but they seem to have higher price tags at the shows I go to. Cheapest I've seen locally this year was $400.00.

Of course, I don't know if he ever sold it or not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
wow, what exactly is the matter with these universals?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wow, what exactly is the matter with these universals?

Two recoil springs, soft metal, non-mil spec.

If you have to buy a commercial clone, get a Plainfield; they will accept G.I. parts. By all means get a genuine USGI model if you can find one for a good price.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
AH! But they are such good prices. What is a good price usually for a Plainfield?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a Universal for a while, then sold it.  My understanding is the Universals went through several different phases:

- When they first came out they were about 60% milspec and pretty decent shooters
- As time went on they had made some mods to the original design, moving farther away from milspec
- Last phase used two springs instead of one, that phase is dangerous.  They had redesigned the back of the bolt, which allowed the hammer to possibly hit the firing pin when the bolt was out of battery.  The only way to tell if it was dangerous was to test it--take a primer ONLY case, drop it in the chamber, pull the bolt about 1/4 turn out of battery and pull the trigger.  If the primer goes BANG it's not safe to shoot.  The other problem was that since they had made their own proprietary changes, parts were not USGI, so parts are hard to come by for later Universals.

Go to the M1 Carbine forum at jouster.com and do a search.  They've got a lot more specifics there.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Forgot to mention that the bullpup conversion may not accept a Universal receiver. Look up replacement stocks for M1 carbines. Some of them come in two versions, USGI and Universal. Others just state that they will not fit Universal.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Forgot to mention that the bullpup conversion may not accept a Universal receiver. Look up replacement stocks for M1 carbines. Some of them come in two versions, USGI and Universal. Others just state that they will not fit Universal.

hmmm, Ill have to email them about that. Apparently AMACs are mostly interchangable w/ US parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top