Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 5:00:30 PM EDT
I bot a UC bayo at a gunshow today. It brings a question though. The blade is marked 1942 and according to Harrison "Garand Collector II", UC got the contract in Oct of '41 and started mfr in April '42, they stopped in April of '43 and began the 10 inch version. Since this is a shortened blade who did the mods. I am sure they wanted the blades out and in service. Since it was marked 1942 can you assume the mfr date had to be from April '42 until Dec'42. The blade is in great shape some wear but not much. It even has crossed cannons opposite the UC/US side of the blade. It also has a flaming bomb on top strap. Scabbard has flaming bomb and has been arsenal shortened, clipped edges. A real piece of history, good feel, nice markings and great shape. On the steel of the handle marked in the steel is "HS".

Anyone can help with details I would appreciate.

Thanks
Chinook3  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i have a PAL that was ground, (spear point), and it is marked UFH on the top between the 2 grips, the scabbard was shortened also

i checked in my Cole's book, and it does not list if anyone else may have converted them just that it was done,

was your bayo ground with a spear point or a bowie point, and was the scabbard shortened too?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Spear point ?-- it was ground down evenly top & bottom

My Harrison manual shows a PAL- circled above a U {flaming Bomb} S. That production started May 1942. Which I think would have been a 16 inch blade. All blades after May '43 would be 10 inch.

In Aug '43 modification of 16 inch bayo's begins at UFH-UC-AFH- & Pal. Beckwith MFR begins shortening M3 sheaths to 10 inch, by 1945 -1,846,768 sheaths are completed.

Did our soldiers have their tools shipped back for mods????

I don't think so!!

Confusing????

Chinook3
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Spear point ?-- it was ground down evenly top & bottom

My Harrison manual shows a PAL- circled above a U {flaming Bomb} S. That production started May 1942. Which I think would have been a 16 inch blade. All blades after May '43 would be 10 inch.

In Aug '43 modification of 16 inch bayo's begins at UFH-UC-AFH- & Pal. Beckwith MFR begins shortening M3 sheaths to 10 inch, by 1945 -1,846,768 sheaths are completed.

Did our soldiers have their tools shipped back for mods????

I don't think so!!

Confusing????

Chinook3

sounds like you have a spear point, ,

my PAL is dated 1943, and was originally a 16", but was ground to a spear point 10"

out of curiosity i checked Cunningham's bayonet book, he states that all 5 manufactures did the conversions, and that the conversions were done on 16" bayos that were returned from the field when the were replaced with the newer M1 bayonet

Cunningham has info in his book that conversions didn't start until Sept 1943, however he also shows that the scabbard conversions started in August of 43,

seems like a lot of logistics to overcome to shorten some bayonets,,,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top