Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:20:23 AM EDT
My friend is really interested in this concept and I think it has some real merit to it. The main thing is that Garands are plagued (in the department of telescopic sights) by their top loading. The scout scope would solve this issue and bring all the benefits of a scout scope to the Garand platform.

Because light weight is typically a scout trait, he was thinking he would get a synthetic stock and a .308 barrel. He wondered about scope mounting and I told him that I think you'd have enough material to set up a two piece scope mount on the thick part of the barrel. The problem with this is you have to remove that top handguard, but I thought about it and I think you'd be fine if you just cut away enough of the material to expose the base.

One question I had though, would he be ok with just getting a barreled action? This is what I initially suggested to him, but then I realized that I don't know if they come with trigger groups or not. Do they?

Oh and one more noob question - in .308, do you use the same en bloc clips?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
From reading hte CMP site, the Garands (less wood) have everything but the metal pieces for hte stock. All other parts are there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Because light weight is typically a scout trait, he was thinking he would get a synthetic stock and a .308 barrel. He wondered about scope mounting and I told him that I think you'd have enough material to set up a two piece scope mount on the thick part of the barrel. The problem with this is you have to remove that top handguard, but I thought about it and I think you'd be fine if you just cut away enough of the material to expose the base.

Somebody already makes an off the shelf scout mount for the M1. I just can't remember who. If it's weight he worried about, he might consider going with a .308 Tanker conversion from Warbirds custom guns. Frankly, if he's going to go through the trouble and expense, an M1A Scout might be a better value.

One question I had though, would he be ok with just getting a barreled action? This is what I initially suggested to him, but then I realized that I don't know if they come with trigger groups or not. Do they?

Woodless M1's from the CMP come with all parts except the stock hardware. He should look at the various grades available from the CMP and consider his best value. Otherwise Dougs stock pile currently has a few grades of stock hardware.

Oh and one more noob question - in .308, do you use the same en bloc clips?

Same clips. Athough as a safety precaution there are blocks that can be installed to prevent the longer .30-06 from being loaded into a .308 M1
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if the M1D barrel could be used to advantage in this situation.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the best scout scope for the money?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Tanker Garand.

M1 Garand Scout Mount.

ETA:

M1C Garand. Note offset scope. Fulton Armory.

Griffin & Howe M1C bracket, base & 1" rings. Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I stuck a pistol scope on my SOCOM and it worked pretty well
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What's the best scout scope for the money?

I like the Leupold Scout scopes.
I have an old M8 and recently picked up a NIB FX-II.
Both were purchased used well below retail.

Here is the M8 mounted on a SAGE top rail.

You could do the same on a Garand with the rail made by Amega Ranges, Inc.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged
Maddogkiller
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
National Match Armory does that mod as well.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Interesting, but I can't find any information on the website other than ~

" Instead of the more common National Match half-minute peep sights, the primary aiming system for this full custom rifle is a Leopold 2.5X long eye relief Scout Scope mounted on our proprietary National Match Armory weaver-style base. This versatile system has proven extremely popular with hunters as well as informal target shooters, especially those with weak eyesight. "

No part # or other information available.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I used an Amegaranges mount and a Burris 2x7 ballistic plex handgun scope.  It works great with Leupold QR rings.  

One of my buddies has almost the exact same setup.  He used it to all but clean (248 of 250) an AQT.  That setup is very solid.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
National Match Armory does that mod as well.

www.nationalmatcharmory.com/ERIC104.JPG

Eric has done for work me in the past.  He's a great guy to deal with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top