Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:42:37 AM EDT
So I am looking into a new build.  I am curious as to what receivers are good to base my build off of.  What should I look into and what should I stay away from?

-mbd
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have the cash get an LRB. If you can find one, get a Poly Tech or Norinco. Otherwise, S.A. Inc. or Armscorp. In that order. Federal Ordnance is an iffy proposition. I don't know anything about Enterprise receivers. There are a few others but they were made in small quanities and are pretty scarce.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
LRB would be the top pick if you can afford it.  

While LRB's are good, I opted for a Fulton as I've been able to get them for under $400 when they've been running a sale and I used the $400 I saved on the receiever to pay for the build/buy more ammo...

Federal Ordnance is okay if its already barreled and you have the headspaed bolt, if you are offered just the receiver, I would pass.

Poly-tech/norinco's are very good and would be a good basis for an upgrade, however the times I've seen just a receiver turn up they were selling for more than fulton receivers but less than an LRB.  I personally would not pay $600 for a stripped receiver when poly's and norinco's turn up as complete rifles for around $700.

Armscorp are fultons and fultons are armscorps.  Whichever you can get cheaper is the better buy.  However, watch out for Sarco Inc's as the word on the street is that those are seconds.  

I've heard some bad things on enterprise's M14 receivers so you may want to avoid those.  

Also, I'll toss the disclaimer in that builds are not cheap.  If its your first build please do consider buying a complete rifle (used SA's turn up for $1K to $1200, used Chinese rifles for $700 to $900 and Fed Ord's for $700 to $1K depending on parts), which in any case would be a lot more inexpensive than trying to assemble parts and have it built.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
LRB!  The way it's supposed to be done
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

I am looking at staying away from Chinese stuff.  

Armscorps was at the top of my list.  Fulton second and haven't even looked at LRB.  I was thinking about just getting the whole deal from SA but that isn't any fun for me.

Any ideas of other places to look for this stuff?

I have been to Sarco and Fulton.

Thanks again,
mbd

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My MK14 SEI is built on a 2001 production cast Sprinfield Armory receiver - no issues - functions 100%.

My MOUT rife is being built on an old forged Norinco receiver - even closer to USGI specs than LRB for le$$.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You are excluding top shelf recievers. Regardless, your chances of finding one are pretty slim. People tend to hang on to them when they find just a reciever.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks all.

Armscorps was at the top of my list.  Fulton second and haven't even looked at LRB.  I was thinking about just getting the whole deal from SA but that isn't any fun for me.

Any ideas of other places to look for this stuff?

I have been to Sarco and Fulton.

Thanks again,
mbd

stay away from Sarco, either fulton, Armscorp or Numrich Gun Parts (they have armscorp receivers for under $400)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top