Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 2:43:50 PM EDT
Is there a place to go on this board similar to the Ammo section on the AR-15 board where one can contrast and compare ammo deals for the 7.62 NATOto round?  How do you here select the vendor for your 7.62 NATO? Wideners has a good deal on Indian 7.62 Ammo. Is this stuff safe and reliable? How should it be compared to the South African ammo that AIM Surplus has?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
South African seems to get good reviews all around.  Indian ammo on the other hand, seems to be pure crap.  The best thing anyone seems to say is that its worthless.  The worst thing they say is that shooting it is hazardous to your rifle and your own health.  I figure if you can buy a 1000 rounds of it for under 100 bucks, there must be a good reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The Indian is just worth staying away from. The Pakistani that's out there I've tryed and it wasn't great but was ok to shoot.  I was told it was and did some checking on it being made in Britain for the Pakamcstani's and seems to have been for all the info that I could find with the headstamping. South African can be good shooting  stuff but also can be a batch that they sealed the round in with some sort of tar at the neck. I got lucky enough to get some, beside some that wasn't. The batch that was ran fine and was ok to shoot, just not very accurate and gummed up my gas cylinder quickly on my M1A before I got to cleaning it that time.  I've heard the batch at Aim is non-tar sealed so go with your gut.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Right now your best bet is PORT or SA...please stay away from the Indian.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thankful for all of the parrots squawking "indian is crap" all over the net. This made getting a GREAT deal on some very good ammo possible. Recently Century Arms put their remaining Indian ammo on sale for 7c a round delivered. This was the 70's manufacture ammo and it has been very good. Reloadable brass, clean burning, and 3 MOA consistantly out of my FALs. 2400 rds of it is sitting in my ammo closet and I am glad to have it. My only regret has been that I did not buy 10,000 rds of  it.
So, all of you parrots please keep squawkin'. Maybe Wideners will hear ya and put their ammo on sale.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there a place to go on this board similar to the Ammo section on the AR-15 board where one can contrast and compare ammo deals for the 7.62 NATOto round?  How do you here select the vendor for your 7.62 NATO? Wideners has a good deal on Indian 7.62 Ammo. Is this stuff safe and reliable? How should it be compared to the South African ammo that AIM Surplus has?

Go HERE to check on ammo deals.  If the Indian is the 1970's ofv on stripper clips and bandoleers its decent stuff.  I just shot over 500 rounds through my fal with no problems what so ever.  Now the late production stuff in the  five round clear bags is the stuff I've heard alot of horror stories about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am thankful for all of the parrots squawking "indian is crap" all over the net. This made getting a GREAT deal on some very good ammo possible. Recently Century Arms put their remaining Indian ammo on sale for 7c a round delivered. This was the 70's manufacture ammo and it has been very good. Reloadable brass, clean burning, and 3 MOA consistantly out of my FALs. 2400 rds of it is sitting in my ammo closet and I am glad to have it. My only regret has been that I did not buy 10,000 rds of  it.
So, all of you parrots please keep squawkin'. Maybe Wideners will hear ya and put their ammo on sale.

There was some fair to midlin' indian stuff, such as the ammo that came packed on strippers in bandoleers.  The bad stuff was the MG ammo which comes in the little plastic baggies.  For those who know the difference, more power to them.  However, trying to explain the differences at times results in utter confusion to some folks and as I am a conservative guy both by nature and in the advice I dish, I'd rather give the "avoid at all costs" than have someone get confused and damage their weapon.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was some fair to midlin' indian stuff, such as the ammo that came packed on strippers in bandoleers.  The bad stuff was the MG ammo which comes in the little plastic baggies.  For those who know the difference, more power to them.  However, trying to explain the differences at times results in utter confusion to some folks and as I am a conservative guy both by nature and in the advice I dish, I'd rather give the "avoid at all costs" than have someone get confused and damage their weapon.

Good point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top