Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 4:11:24 PM EDT
Looking to stock up on some .30-06 for "44" M1. I thought I read somewhere to stay away from the modern hunting ammo becuase the burn rate of the powder. Seen some American Eagle tonight that was 150 grain FMJ. Any ideas if this would be safe , or should I just buy the Korean and some Windex.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looking to stock up on some .30-06 for "44" M1. I thought I read somewhere to stay away from the modern hunting ammo becuase the burn rate of the powder. Seen some American Eagle tonight that was 150 grain FMJ. Any ideas if this would be safe , or should I just buy the Korean and some Windex.

The AE I had shot to the same POI/POA as the LC. Shooting the Korean corrosive (KA headstamp) requires more than windex but cleaning after corrosive is not particularly onerous. I would estimate the additional time at 15 minutes at the outside.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Having a hard time finding the PS head stamp. The search continues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Completly safe.

Quoted:
Seen some American Eagle tonight that was 150 grain FMJ. Any ideas if this would be safe , or should I just buy the Korean and some Windex.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Completly safe.

Quoted:
Seen some American Eagle tonight that was 150 grain FMJ. Any ideas if this would be safe , or should I just buy the Korean and some Windex.

...NOT completely safe, since commercial ammo uses primers that are softer than the mil spec ones. The firing pin on the garand is free-floating, possibly resulting in slam-fires.  If you search on "garand reloading" you will see several references to the importance of using the right modern powder, milspec primers and milspec brass. Plus, if you reload, 2 should be the limit of uses for the brass due to the extraordinary stretching the brass goes through on the Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top