Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
Is this a press fit?  Mine is REALLY on there and I need to remove my walnut hand guard to mount a scope.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is this a press fit?  Mine is REALLY on there and I need to remove my walnut hand guard to mount a scope.

No, its not a press fit.  After the plug and lock are removed if you have a rubber or plastic mallet you can tap it off by hitting the bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Used a small piece of wood and a hammer.  Came right off.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You dont have to move the gas cylinder to remove the hand guard, just remove the handguard clip from the barrel. Use an awl or something similar to pry the clip off of the barrel. HTH  PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You dont have to move the gas cylinder to remove the hand guard, just remove the handguard clip from the barrel. Use an awl or something similar to pry the clip off of the barrel. HTH  PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL

It is a walnut handgaurd.  I was afraid of breaking it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a walnut handgaurd.  I was afraid of breaking it.

Well if you have the gas cylinder off the handguards come off easily and you will not damage you handguards.

first remove the trigger group and lift the receiver out of the stock.

1. slide the front handguard off.
2. remove the lower band(piece off metal between the HG's) by first turning the rifle upside down. You will see a small pin holding the lower band in place, just use a punch to push it out. Band will then slide off easily.
3. Now just slide the rear handguard forward till the clip comes off the barrel.

Now you can do what you need to, just reverse the order above to put the handguards back on.

This is also a good time to check for rust and crud.

Any problems go to surplusrifle.com for complete instructions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top