Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 2:42:35 PM EDT

Have this and have added a kydex cheek rest by Karsten.  I *want* to add a bipod to help keep 'er steady.  I am currently using a front and rear bag for support on the bench.

The first question, does it really make that much of a difference in support/accuracy?  

The second question is, which bipod to use?  I "like" harris, but have heard you have to do a bit to get it on and make it work right.  On the other hand the M2 attaches to the gas tube/barrel.  But I have "heard" that is degrades accuracy...?

How does the use of a bipod affect using a rear bag?

Thoughts, suggestions? (and picutures )

Gracias
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No suggestions or info?
I will try tempting you with a new picture.  I just finished the painting tonight.  There is a matching umbrella logo on the front flip up cover.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I epoxied a sling stud into the front of my stock and used a harris with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
MOS2111, most people go with the Harris route at it has become kind of a traditional look so I'm sure many follow suit. It is a good bipod and not really hard to install on any rifle just by installing a swivel stud to mount the bipod on as it's teeth just go into the stud and tighten around it. Another route is mounting a small rail in front of the sling swivel and mount a rail attachable bipod to it. There are some great bipod choices these days that are better quality in most respects to the Harris and less bulky. Once all is said and done you'll have a very stable and easier to put on and off bipod. Falcon makes some nice rails as an example and GG&G and TDI both makes a great bipod to mount. It's more expensive but a great route. Make sure you use a small strip of aluminum that supports the bolts for the rail on the inside if the rail doesn't come with some inner support and doesn't get in the way of the op rod and piston. You could take the swivel off too if you want and put in a longer rail and than a new sliing swivel that attaches to the rail, but that's up to you. The old M14 bipod that attaches to the gas cylinder does degrade accuracy and I wouldn't waste your time.
Skullboy has a nice example he posted not that long ago.

Skullboy's

Bipods at Botac

Rails at Falcon
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at bi pods from Botac, the price is right and every time they didnt have something I want, they "upgrade" my purchase.  

I am very tempted to mount a rail under the stock....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for asking this question. I just came here to post the same thing myself. I found this on the net earlier but was wondering if anyone had any other ways of doing it. home.hawaii.rr.com/dighawaii/Bipod%20Page%20Amended%20Version.htm
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
MOS2111, that's one sweet rifle!

Quoted:
I found this on the net earlier but was wondering if anyone had any other ways of doing it.

Yep, that's Dighawaii's great "How-To" pictorial.

Other ways?
SEI has a new 3-Rail set up that is made for synthetic stocks.

You could install just the 6:00 rail and put your Harris on an ARMS TL rail mount.

HTH ~

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Save your money and forget all about a bipod, at least for the immediate future.

If you have not already done this, learn to shoot the rifle off the bench and learn how to use the shooting sling to your advantage.

Once you can shoot into a one-inch square at 25M with iron sights, you will be good enough to render the bipod superfluous.

If you are already at this level (few are), and want to use the bipod for very long shots, then have at it.  But I suggest you resist the temptation to substitute a bipod for skill.

Good advice...except most gunners today completely ignore this kind of thinking.  Too many people (most of whom have no real training or real world experience) think mounting a ton of shit on their guns are what they need to be good shooters.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I *want* to add a bipod to help keep 'er steady.
I am currently using a front and rear bag for support on the bench.

The first question, does it really make that much of a difference in support/accuracy?

No, not really.

I find the bipod comes in handy for photo's and display, but when you fire the
weapon it sometimes bounces and walks. Since you are used to bags you may
find this trait really annoying.

I rarely shoot my rifle with the bipod and I purposely deleted any means to attach a bipod to my MOUT rifle…

As RAF pointed out you are much more solid with a proper sling if used as designed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a universal screw in sling swivel stud, install behind the weephole and sling swivel (measure with your intended bipod to make sure you place in a spot that allows you to fold the stock without interferance with the sling swivel), once stud is installed flush with the wood take a dremel or other small cutting/grinding tool and cut the screw down flush with the wood on the inside of the stock, install your bipod and reassemble your gun.  Heres pics of mine...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top