Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 5:07:37 AM EDT
I have some beautiful planks of walnut, highly figured and contrasted that I would like to get cut into garand stocks and forearms. There are 3 of them two of which are mirror images of each other. I found a place in Mo. but getting (3) 7 foot X 16 inches planks shipped to western Mo. seems to be a problem. Well at least pretty expensive Anyone know someone within driving distance (few hours) from central Mich. that can do a nice job with these?

Thanks
Chinook3
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Since the planks will have to be cut in half anyway, just saw the 7 footers in half, bundle them up and ship them UPS.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, its not that easy. If you cut them up for maximum stocks okay. Since they are slabs next to each other you could make some stocks (fewer) that would almost be mirror images of each other. It would be nice if you had 2 garands or consecutive serial # 's etc. I would also like this to FTF so I can be comfortable what is being done. So I would like to find someone closer. Just thought someone here would know. If nothing else it could always be a road trip.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
did you try posting this in your or your neighboring states hometown forum,,

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I will try that .

Chinook3
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:  It would be nice if you had 2 garands or consecutive serial # 's etc.

Chinook3

If you have USGI Garands with consecutive serial numbers, replacing the wood will devalue them.

I would be very surprised to see guns with consecutive serial numbers and the same owner in anything other than original or as original as possible wood.

JR
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I never thought of that but you are very likely correct.

I think I will forget the whole idea. I really don't want to pay $200 each to have them cut or end up paying $150 in freight. -- Let it sit I am in no hurry.

Thanks
Chinook3
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
 Sounded like a pretty neat idea to me.

(Do you know how to whittle ?)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have some beautiful planks of walnut, highly figured and contrasted that I would like to get cut into garand stocks and forearms. There are 3 of them two of which are mirror images of each other. I found a place in Mo. but getting (3) 7 foot X 16 inches planks shipped to western Mo. seems to be a problem. Well at least pretty expensive Anyone know someone within driving distance (few hours) from central Mich. that can do a nice job with these?

Thanks
Chinook3

Chinook3,

How old/dry is the wood?  Has it been sitting for 5-10 years or is it freshly hewn?  BTW is a 270mi/4.5hr drive too far for you?  Getting the stock run won't be too hard it's the HGs that may be difficult to have mass produced inexpensively.

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
We sawed up 29 logs -cherry/oak/walnut, this was from a tree that had to be 150 years old cut down for a new Meijer store. These boards went through the drier twice and then been in the garage for  a year and a half. They should be plenty dry - no sap wood. Lots of grain and contrast. If you have some idea let me know.

Thanks

Chinook3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top