Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 7:41:24 AM EDT
Finely I got to shoot my CMP m1 for the first time.
48 rounds down range at 100 yards and they stayed in a five inch circle.

The only problem I had is the clip ejecting with 4 or 5 rounds still to go. This happened twice but other than that there was no 7th round stoppages or other jams.

What could cause this? Op rod catch and bullet guide problem?

HELP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem it turned out to be the operating rod catch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
One or more of the following is most likely the cause, cheap to fix:

Clip latch worn
Clip latch spring weak]
Clip latch pin worn
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
7th Round Stoppage was fixed circa 1939, so that's no surprise.  

1.  Bent follower rod cycles the operating rod catch and clip latch early.
2.  Follower rod forks excessively worn cycles same.
3.  Short or weak or broken (!) clip latch spring.
4.  Operating rod catch depresssor damaged or altered.  Cycles the clip latch early.

-- Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

After doing a little research and disassembling the rifle, I suspect it is a weak clip latch spring. All the other parts look good for a 60 year old gun. I will replace parts and keep the old ones for back up.
When I get it ironed out ,the gun will be fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
While you are getting springs for your rifle, you might also get a stainless steel GI spec op rod spring from Orion7.  They are the best available.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That clip latch spring should be about 5/8" long (I pulled one out of one of my M1's that was about half that length).

Ty
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That clip latch spring should be about 5/8" long (I pulled one out of one of my M1's that was about half that length).

Ty

I finally broke down and decided to detail strip the rifle clip assembly(thank god for manuals and the internet). All the parts look good with little wear and park is good. The spring is short and feels weak.
CMP armourer is suppose to call and talk to me about my problem sometime this week.

Mean while being the worry wart that I am, I have ordered the replacement gi parts(found some unissued at numrich(supposedly)). I have also done some research and the spring does seem to be the weak link. So I will receive a extra strength spring from fulton on friday.
If this solves it then the extra parts go in the parts box(I keep one for each C&R rifle i own) for just in case. I will be ordering a couple spair op springs also.

I just love 'new' old guns. The research and gunoil ahhhhhhhh.............Think I'll get an otherone from CMP.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Update: I talked to cmp last week and between the armourer an me, we figured the spring was short/weak. Well I received a replacement and compaired the old with new spring---the old spring was a full 1/4 inch short. Replaced it and assembled the gun.

I test fired this morning and the rifle cycled 80 rounds with NO problems. Heck I even got to go back to the funshow and get some replacement handguards in good condition. Not a bad day.

Now all I have to do is ignore the voices in my ear that says either "Buy more ammo" or "buy another cmp m1"------excuse me third voice says "buy both".
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Listen to the voice that says "buy more ammo." The rifles will be around for another century. Ammo is a consumable and can disappear in a flash (no pun intended).

Once you have enough ammo to colapse the leaf springs on a half ton pick up, then go scratch the rifle itch.

BTW, congrats on your score.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Now all I have to do is ignore the voices in my ear that says either "Buy more ammo" or "buy another cmp m1"------excuse me third voice says "buy both".

That third voice is a very dangerous one (financially).  Sounds much like the one that convinced me to buy a correct grade AND field grade, then a case of CMP lake city, case of CMP Greek, & a Winnie.  Good thing the CMP is sold out of IHC's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top