Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:29 PM EDT
And she's a shooter!

I spent the last week scouring gun stores and pawnshops in two states in search of M1 carbines.
The few stores that had any carbines at all had only Universals and they were priced anywhere
from $350 to $475. Did not come across a single G.I. carbine but did manage to find this
Plainfield at a gun store in Atlanta. The guy wouldn't take less than $199 for it, so I bought it.

I don't know why there is so much disdain for Plainfield carbines; I took this one to the
range today and it functions smoothly and is accurate. When I got home I field stripped it
and gave it a good cleaning. The trigger group looks to be the only G.I. part on the gun, but
I don't know enough about them to tell.  I don't like the dinged up birch stock with the plastic
butt plate, so it will be getting a G.I. stock as soon as I can find one. Also don't like the metal
vented handgaurd, so it too will be replaced with good ol' G.I. wood at the first oppurtunity.

Anyway, fire away! I like my Plainfield!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy your new rifle !!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice Carbine!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a very nice rifle for an excellent price.  Enjoy her!

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
does anyone know how to tell which parts are usgi?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... I don't know why there is so much disdain for Plainfield carbines...

I think the disdain is just for non-USGI M1s in general.  In my neck of the woods, I've always heard that the Plainfields were the best of the commercial carbines.  I've had two and they were both great - still have one and wish I still had the other.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You done good. Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It's purple. Are you sure it isn't a Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It looks more like a magenta shade to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks more like a magenta shade to me.

If you say so.

Regardles, screw the carbine snobs. Plainfield makes a great carbine. BTW, if you would like to add a barrel band with a bayonet lug, I've got two sitting around doing nothing. IM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top