Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
Is this a sure fire way to test muzzle erosion if you don't have the correct set of tools? How does it work? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a 30-06, .308 round (I'm assuming you're doing this on a Unloaded, M1,M14, '03,'03A3, never tried using a .223 in a AR bbl)) and stick the bullet into the muzzle and note the amount of bullet showing between the muzzle to the end of the caseneck, The more bullet showing the better. It is not a RELIABLE gage. If the bullet goes in the muzzle all the way to the case, then you could bet the muzzel is very well worn. That'a about all it will tell you reliably, ogives on the bullets themsleves will vary, sometimes alot and will give you diffrent readings even in the same barrel. A Muzzle Wear gage is the only way to get an accurate, meaningful reading on muzzle wear.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
jmboom,

The "Bullet Test" is NOT a reliable comparison......

The M2 test IS reliable.  

Just picking any old .30 round to test your muzzle won't tell you much.  You can get vastly different "readings" based on the ogive of the bullet you use.

Most people who want to get advice regarding their muzzle have to use either a USGI M2 or Korean M2 round as the basis for their information, otherwise nobody else can tell you what you have.   Comparisons with different bullets are meaningless....

Note:  Even USGI M80 7.62 Nato (and all other 7.62 as well) has a different ogive, as does Danish 30-06.   The only non USGI M2 that for sure has the correct ogive for comparative results is the Korean M2.   Sorry, I don't know about the Greek.  It may be the same as US M2, might not.......

Best regards,
Swampy

garands forever
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap and easy to use Stone Axe Engineering combo throat and muzzle guages, I got a .308 guage and have used it on all the .30 cal rifles I own and was surprised a couple times by the amount of wear, both + and -
www.stoneaxeengineering.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top