Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 11:40:00 AM EDT
I like my SOCOM 16, but I hate the noise maker at the muzzle some might call a muzzle brake. I called Smith Ent about installing a Vortex, but a Vortex will not work on a SOCOM Ron tells me. So what do you all think some options are. There is not a expansion chamber in the brake, so replacement should be no problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Surely some of you have this same question.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I like my SOCOM 16, but I hate the noise maker at the muzzle some might call a muzzle brake. I called Smith Ent about installing a Vortex, but a Vortex will not work on a SOCOM Ron tells me. So what do you all think some options are. There is not a expansion chamber in the brake, so replacement should be no problem.

======
That is precisely why Springfield Aromry (sic) made the SOCOM with the odd-ball threads and why they do not sell the gas lock/MB separately:  to slow down the efforts of those looking for an alternative.   I firmly believe it was a business decision.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Couple months back this came up, Mark at Arizona Response Systems modified a SOCOM by replacing the blast enhancer with an open ended Steyr short flash hider.Good looking piece and he indicated that he would do the same for customers I think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That's interesting.  So really all you need to do is replace the muzzle device, correct? How does the factory muzzle break attach to the gas lock?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's interesting.  So really all you need to do is replace the muzzle device, correct? How does the factory muzzle break attach to the gas lock?  

I can't remember how it was accomplished, been a while.I can recall that the break was removed from the gas cyl lock, I want to say it's threaded, but don't quote me on that. Then the flash hider attached to the SOCOM lock. There were a couple threads on the Fal files where it was discussed, and I think one here a while back. All around two to three months ago.

However it was done, I'd give it a shot. ARS isn't known for turning out crap.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]

The Socom flash suppresor by Arizona Response Systems.The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base  with odd ball threading.Other than the custom one off by Gunplumber at ARS I don't know of anyone currently even working on a replacement,never mind having them ready for sale.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base  with odd ball threading.

Yep, I was wrong on the threaded part. Did some searching on the 'files, and they had to machine the unit to accept the flash hider. If I had a SOCOM, I'd go for it just cuz I don't care for muzzle breaks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base  with odd ball threading.

Yep, I was wrong on the threaded part. Did some searching on the 'files, and they had to machine the unit to accept the flash hider. If I had a SOCOM, I'd go for it just cuz I don't care for muzzle breaks.

Bishop -- Thanks for checking it out.  That pretty much confirms it for me: SA Inc does not want anyone else to diddle with their SOCOM rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Precisely why I didn't buy the one I laid away after shooting a friend's.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top