Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 4:42:04 PM EDT
Picked up a Garand at the local show today.  I know absolutely ZERO about these rifles, except that I have wanted one for a while.

Please let me know if I got a decent deal, or if I got stung.  This is a Springfield receiver,, was told it was a "41" receiver with a "43" barrel.  I have NO idea what that means, so a little direction would help.  Finish is excellent, wood is G to VG (in MHO).

Please, if someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the serial number [or at least all but the last 2 or 3 just xxx those] would help as would the markings on the BBL, both on the side under the op rod and on top of the BBL. Need to know the condition of the BBL bore, the Bolt markings and trigger group markings. The price paid certainly helps us tell you, you got ripped off or did a good deal.

FWIW, I paid $800 for a very nice 1.6million  43 SA with a 8-44 SA BBL today. All parts were SA on the rifle and the bore was very good to excellent. You can get them cheaper thru CMP but they will NOT be as nice unless you spend as much or more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
the serial number and photos would be a good start, plus all the drawing numbers and dates on all parts to include the barrel date.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I relitively new to garands too. First the date for the receiver can be determined by the serial number. Example, mine 3641xxxx which puts it's manufacture in march of 45. Get Duff's book on the garand.

The barrel will have a date stamp on the side where the bolt/op rod is. Open the breach. Look on the right side of the barrel and you will find a serial number with letters followed by a date code.
Example, mine has the number followed by SA followed by 3-51. Means Springfield manufactured in March 1951.

some manufacturing codes seen
SA-springfield arms
wra- winchester
hra-harrington richards
ihc-international harvester

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/rifledisassembly/index.asp

Here is a excellent link to disassembly instructions with pics on the m1 garand
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Example, mine 3641xxxx which puts it's manufacture in march of 45.

Just gotta yank your chain just a bit !!!!!!!!

That serial number probably dates to 2045!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top