Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 12:03:13 PM EDT
Not sure what's going on with my two M1s--any help would be appreciated!

I borrowed a friend's timing block (one of those plastic ones from Brownell's, been thinking about getting one), and it fails to release the bolt on either of my rifles.  However, a fully loaded clip (with dummy rounds) works just fine.  I've never checked the timing on these rifles before, but I find it hard to believe that both are bad, which implies the timing block isn't big enough.

So, what do I do--assume the timing block is crap and find a better one (I've seen the all-steel versions out there), or replace two bullet guides for starters and go from there?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Timing gages are used to help diagnose rifles with problems and for IDing rifles that may have problems.
Since your rifles are working properly, there's no real reason to gage them.

In this case I'd tend to think either the gage is worn or was no good from the get-go.

In any case, why start replacing parts on rifles that are working fine.
I'd test fire the rifles, and if they work OK, I wouldn't worry about it until there was a good reason to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that's just it--I just picked up one of the two from a private sale and I wanted to make sure things are safe to shoot. I wanted to do a timing and headspace check before I took it out to the range.  After it failed the timing check I figured I'd try it on my other Garand, which I know works, but then it failed too.  What's interesting is the timing block is basically brand new.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top