Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:05:45 AM EDT
How would you guys rate this barrel?  TE of almost 5 and MW measures 3. Shiny bore, chromed gas port with no pitting or frosting at all. Nice looking overall with the typical wear where the op-rod runs on the lower chamber area.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Rack Grade barrel... muzzle wear is high... $50
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how serious you want to get with this rifle you described.

My Springfield Greek rack grade has a MW of 5 or more. It swallows a 30-06 down the barrel to where the casing starts.

Not sure what the throat erosion is, but I bet it's not pretty.

Bore is dark.

So clearly...my bore is a lot worse than yours. Using milsup ammo, I shoot about a 5" group at 100 yards from a bench....and I'm not even a very good shot. These rifles are still accurate enough even with a "shot out" barrel.

Of course, this won't do for competition shooting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input .  Actually found this barrel at a flea market. Considering that is a 12-43 Springfield barrel, guess it could be used for a restoration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input .  Actually found this barrel at a flea market. Considering that is a 12-43 Springfield barrel, guess it could be used for a restoration.

With a chromed gas port?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it unusual for a 1943 barrel to have a chromed gas port? Numbers on the top of barrel read  D35446-26-A-53-A & on the side reads 3-S-A-12-43.  I'm pretty new to this M1 stuff
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#6]
At one point, the M1's gas port was not chrome plated. This is one way to tell of early WWII era barrels that were NOT re-parked or went through arsenal rebuild. During re-builds, etc. the port was chromed while the rifle was in for overhaul and before being refinished as well. At some point (can't recall for sure) all barrels made new were chromed. I just about bet that an original 43 dated barrel was not chromed, but I may stand to be corrected on this. If this is the case, a true restorer will not offer as much or even want a chromed port barrel, that is for a "true" restoration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
That's why I love this place! Learn something new every day. Thanks to those who share the knowledge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top