User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Universal?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never looked at building an m1 carbine. Are there parts kits out there? I can't recall ever seeing any anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I dunno.  For the price they are getting for the military receivers ($150+) adding a barrel ($200+) and all the misc parts, you'd end up paying about the same as a working, complete rifle.  Doesn't look very attractive to me.  With Carbines running about $700 in nice shape, I think it would be difficult to build one for much less.  

Also interesting is the fact that the commercial receivers are included.  Weird.

Rome
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]

All of these receivers, to include the commercial non-military Plainfield and Universal, were transferred to the CMP by the the US Army.  

Huh?

Maybe I'll buy an Inland reciever, just to have a spare lying around.
Parts kits are out there, check gun broker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
They're a little too pricey for me since I want a Rockola.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I KNEW Bubba was right at th eshow when he said that Universal was a USGI Manufacturer.

Actually these came from forign Armys back to the US so all it means is somewhere someone used a Universal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've never looked at building an m1 carbine. Are there parts kits out there? I can't recall ever seeing any anywhere.

There used to be kits availible (Numrich, SARCO, etc) but its been years since I've seen them.  Like twenty years.  Most carbine parts have passed into the realm of the collector and are priced accordingly.  These receivers will only make it worse.  Plus slapping a carbine together is tougher than it looks.  No where near as easy as an AR build.  I expect a lot of folks will buy these and be sorely disappointed.  

If you want a carbine you'll be better off and probably money ahead just buying a complete rifle at today's high prices.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I KNEW Bubba was right at th eshow when he said that Universal was a USGI Manufacturer.

Actually these came from foreign Armies back to the US so all it means is somewhere someone used a Universal.

Yes, Universal did sell into the military market.  Mostly central and south America if I recall the numbers from Ezell's book.  During the sixties when most of the "real" carbines got shipped to SE Asia.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top