Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 3:00:41 PM EDT
I am starting my build soon on a M14 clone. I have 2 barrel options and I need your help on this one. Which barrel would be the best choice. It will be on the following. Original looking M14 with a very nice wood stock. Glass bedded. NM sights USGI. Good trigger job, AKA tack driver.

1. New condition H&R barrel or
2. Slightly used NM barrel W/ TE around 1.5 ish.

The H&R is new and should shoot nice and straight, but the NM barrel would match the theme of the gun. I think because of the TE, They both would shoot about the same. Would the gun be worth more with the NM barrel? This gun is going to be mostly USGI and matching manufactures where possible. I will be putting some commercial stuff in it to save a little bit of money for now.
Thanks for the input

My gut feeling is the NM. No cost difference between the two!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, go with the NM barrel.  FYI, Harrington & Richardson USGI M14 barrels manufactured in 1960 (only that year and only that maker AFAIK) had oversized chambers.  This is not desirable.  Reference: Springfield Armory.  Investigation of Problems Related to M14 Rifle Failures.  Springfield, MA: May 08, 1961.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top