Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:23 PM EDT
    Ok.  I have two Garands that I took apart for various reasons and had the better barrel installed into the nicer receiver. The Smith put it together with my bolt and told me this:

1) 2 1/2 throat erosion ?

2) Closed on the No-Go ?

3) Did not close on the Field ?

He told me to just go shoot it but what does the above mean ?  

(He originally told me to bring in both bolts but some-how one got left behind @ the house )

Can someone give me the cliff-notes on this "Field, Go, No-Go" please....

Thank you in advance,

Steve
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Throat erosion means where the bullet engages the rifleing is being eroded(ware from gases of a fired round, normal in all rifles). 21/2 is good for a combat used rifle, still meets army spec i beleive.

Closing on a no-go guage is fine as long as it did not close on the field guage. The no-go guage is a few thousandth of inch larger then a go gauge and is the largest allowable size of the round to fire. Just shows chamber headspace ware. Now if it closed on the field you would be in trouble, no rifle should close on a field gauge(larger then a no-go). Closing on a no-go is not uncommon in military rifles because the chamber is sometimes cut larger due to possiblilty of getting mud/debri in the chamber during combat. If it closed on the no-go, I would want to know if it closed easly or snuggly on the nogo. Closing snug or tightly would show the chamber is closer to the go size and mean less ware.

Hope this helps, read up for more info.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
2.5 TE is very good considering. There are some out there still being fired with over twice that number,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top