Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:12:49 AM EDT
Got a couple of questions. First, when the aperature is all the way down, should the drum be showing the 100 meter mark lined up with the mark on the reciever?

Second, I know how the thing goes together and how the parts relate to each other, but I still am having a hell of a time doing it. I got so frustrated I am taking an arfcom break now. Does anybody have any small tricks/hints on assembling the rear sight and indexint the aperature properly?

Thanks guys.

Ian
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano! I just got her done. So it is normal for the elevation drum to read 1100 when the aperature is bottomed out?, I expect it should be 100 but mine reads 11 I have to go up 4 clicks elevation to get to 100. The reason I want it to index properly is that I may need the ranges on the drum to accurately correlate with the trajectory, as I may be doing some medium to long range competition this summer.

Thanks again!
P.S., what are you doing in Zimbabwe? That is what zwe stands for?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Dano, that'swhat I needed.

Are you in Zimbabwe? What kind of animals do you hunt there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Any way of adjusting the drum without taking the spline out of the sight base?

P.S., I got it set so it is 8 clicks from bottomed out to the 100 meter mark

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, that makes sense. and that's why I love this place!. I never sighted in a M1A or garand, mine came dead on and I never touch them after that. Thanks RAF, Dano, you guys saved me a lot of learning by trial and error! I've got more Argie 7.62 than SA so I'll sight in for that ammo.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Once you're zeroed, make a habit of checking the elevation screw regularly. As in every time you take the rifle out. Eventually you'll figure out how much tension it takes to prevent loosening, but until you do, not much is more aggravating than having it come loose and your aperture move with each shot. If you did everything posted above, it's not  the end of the world since you're settings are written down (they are written down, right?) but still a hassle that's easily avoided.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagitty Tag Tag...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Zero the rifle at 200yds.  Bottom out the sight, counting the clicks it takes to do so.  Write this down.  Eventually, the sight will lose tension and you'll need to know the # of clicks.  I'm thinking if you zero at 200yds, it should be about 1.2" high at 25 yds, but check this with a ballistic calculator for yourself (BC=0.39, MV=2750, sight height=1.09").

Now you can calibrate the elevation drum.  Bottom the aperature and loosen the screw on the elevation knob.  Click the knob in the down direction until the "2" is aligned with the mark on the receiver.  Now, click in the down direction the # of clicks you wrote down for your 200yd zero.  Tighten the screw.  Done.

It's much easier to do it this way than it is to try and hold the raised aperature in place while fiddling with the elevation knob/screw.

FWIW, I don't calibrate the drum and only use the # of clicks up as my zero.   Every so often, I de-calibrate it again to a different setting.  This keeps the serrations on my receiver from wearing out.  For competition or use past 300yds, the elevation drum is probably not going to put you in the center of the target.

For all M1/M14 ammo (150's, 168's, 173's)
From 100yds to 200yds, 2 clicks up
from 200 to 300yds, 3 clicks up
from 300 to 600yds, 12-14 clicks up
Will get you on paper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the help, got a lot more M1A info than I expected (But not more than I needed

I found out what the problem was that initially screwed me up, the elevation adjustment screw was sticky(brand new gun) and didn't want to unscrew, I actually thought it was part of the shaft it was on that hard, that's why I couldn't get the whole calibration thing at first, I thought it was all one part. I got it down now, all I got to do is take her to the range again and do the battle zero@25m. RAF, forget the IM I sent, I sent that before I got that screw to break loose. I got the rear fine tuned no, better than when it cam out of the box, not too tight, not too loose and my aperature doesn't move when I dial the windage way over anymore. Thanks guys, playing around with this and watching old tapes on my day off was surprisingly relaxing, although my g.f. rolled her eyes at me more than once. I guess she just doesn't "get" tour of duty

Thanks again guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top