Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 2:57:16 PM EDT
anyone have experience with these two items especially in tandem?  for some reason I want them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, here's my NFA Registered full auto M1A in M14A1 configuration:

I've had both the Taiwanese and the USGI M2 bipods.  Go with the Taiwanese M2 bipod.  It's a lot cheaper.  My Taiwanese M2 bipod is still looking great after 3000 rounds in automatic mode.  My USGI M2 bipod broke after 2000 rounds of automatic fire.  Both were tested in the Mojave Desert in southern Nevada. After several thousand rounds, my birch USGI M14E2 stock cracked at the pistol grip.  So, I'm having a wood laminate M14E2 stock made by LAW 483 Enterprises.    
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
WOW! thanks for the eye candy.  I know cheaper than dirt sells a cheaper bipod but I don't know if it is a Taiwan copy.  Where is a good source for the Taiwan model?  Do you think the stock cracked due to full auto firing or do you think it would have reguardless?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't get sucked into buying the Chinese Norinco M2 bipod, it's shoddily built.  Numrich Gun Parts www.e-gunparts.com sells the Taiwanese M2 bipod.  Expect to pay around $120 to $130 plus tax and shipping.

My birch M14E2 stock definitely did crack from use in automatic fire.  It's not unusual for the wood M14E2 stocks.  

From M14 Rifle History and Development, here's how to not get snookered on M2 bipods:

"M2 Type Bipods

The M2 bipod design was standardized in December, 1959 and improvements were added later.  M2 bipods have been produced in the United States, Taiwan and China.  Chinese copies of the M2 bipod do not have as excellent a reputation as compared to the USGI and Taiwanese models.

Taiwan models - The Taiwanese M2 bipod is reliable and suitable for civilian use.  Beginning around 1998, some Taiwanese M2 bipods were sold to the U. S. Navy through Sarco, Inc. (CAGE Code 8R320).  Taiwanese M2 bipods are made by Wayne Machine Inc. of Taipei, Taiwan.  Taiwanese copies of the M2 bipod may have W M I stamped on the yoke.  Taiwanese bipods sold by Sarco to the U. S. Navy do not have the W M I mark.

Early Taiwanese bipods were brazed but failed routinely.  Otherwise, Taiwanese bipods are welded and have had no problems through thousands of rounds of automatic fire.  Some of the Taiwanese M2 bipods were installed on M14 rifles and used in combat in Afghanistan in 2005.  Seven of these bipods were removed from combat service in July, 2005 because each suffered the loss of the retaining pin holding the spring and button in one of the leg folding pushbutton assemblies.

Chinese models - The Chinese M2 bipod is marketed by Norinco.  The Chinese versions will have the W M I marking.  If the yoke screw requires a hex head wrench to tighten or loosen, it is a Chinese bipod.

USGI models - An American made USGI contract M2 bipod will have the following markings on the yoke: U. S. 7790833 BIPOD RIFLE M2 or U. S. 7790688 BIPOD RIFLE M2.  A USGI M2 bipod will be of brazed, not welded, construction.  The USGI M2 bipods left the factory with a yellow DOD acceptance stamp on the left hand front side of the yoke and a blue letter M, one on the bottom of each leg pad and also on the outside of the right hand clamp.  However, the yellow and blue markings tended to wear off with use in the field and are rarely seen on bipods found today.

Both versions of the USGI contractor M2 bipod, 7790688 and 7790833, were initially produced without a sling swivel.  M2 bipods marked 7790688 were later manufactured with a sling swivel.  Sling swivels were also added to quantities of both versions of M2 bipods while in service through a Modification Work Order or a Direct Support level field modification.  M2 bipods with swivels will have a longer pin to secure the swivel to the yoke."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know what is the make of the bipod Springfield Armory sells?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone know what is the make of the bipod Springfield Armory sells?

Wayne Machine, Inc. of Taipei, Taiwan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you know about the magazines made in Taiwan?  I spoke to a guy who is selling them, claims they will fit and function just like a US GI.

can the E2 stock be repaired?  I'm interested in buying if your selling.

thanks for all the info on the bipod!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What do you know about the magazines made in Taiwan?  I spoke to a guy who is selling them, claims they will fit and function just like a US GI.

can the E2 stock be repaired?  I'm interested in buying if your selling.

thanks for all the info on the bipod!!!

Personally, I've never used a Taiwanese Type 57 magazine AFAIK.  The reports that I've read, and I've read a few, is that with some cleaning and light lube of the interior surfaces and the spring, they work very well.  Some of them have a little surface rust.  I highly recommend Derek at www.azexarms.com for phosphate coating of M14 parts and magazines.  Derek's work is top notch.

I sent my cracked M14E2 stock to Tony Lawrence along with some cash for a new M14E2 wood laminate stock.  He's going to install the hardware from my cracked birch Canadian Arsenals M14E2 stock.  Once I receive my wood laminate M14E2 stock that will complete Different's M14A1 Modernization Project.  A report will follow detailing what I've done to modernize/update my full auto M1A.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an E2 stock for a while.  Got rid of it; just didn't fit right.  Went back to a Big Red birch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top