Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 9:33:15 AM EDT
I have what might be a really dumb question.  Will the 30.06 M1 Garand clips work with .308 ammo ?  I saw an ad that said that Springfield Armory had the .308 versions of their M1 Garands on clearance.  

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they will work. However, you may find them a bit tight when you use them with .308. There is less body taper in the .308 case and thus they are tighter. You may have to spring them a bit at first. Or, you could find the oldest clips you have and use them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have what might be a really dumb question.  Will the 30.06 M1 Garand clips work with .308 ammo ?  I saw an ad that said that Springfield Armory had the .308 versions of their M1 Garands on clearance.  

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

Medicguy

Hmm...that explains why I saw a brand new one for 850 bucks today.  Any reason SAI is unloading?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They are a little tighter but they work fine. I have 8 or 10 that came with my .308 M1 and they do seem to be sprung a bit. Those work every single time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Hmm...that explains why I saw a brand new one for 850 bucks today. Any reason SAI is unloading?

Likely because no one will buy them...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, like hypothetically speaking if I wanted an SA, Inc Garand in .308 (which I don't) I would check out the CMP for a Woodless Dane Garand or cheapest rack grade I could buy and have it rebarreled with a .308 barrel. Sent it off to Warbird, Ted Brown or another to have it rebuilt and refinished.

In fact that is what I did with a Blue Sky Re Import that had seen better days.

$400-500.00 for a USGI Garand plus work, a new barrel and stock may seem like a lot but I bet you wont come out much more than a SA, Inc Garand with all commercial parts and possible out of spec receiver.

Just a though.

Karsten
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I went over a new Garand in my local gunstore last month.

You will come out much better off getting a CMP racker any day of the week, even if you did convert it over. Cheaper and a much better firearm in the end.

I have no clue what who at Springfield was smoking when they thought this joke up, but it must have been real good.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have no clue what who at Springfield was smoking when they thought this joke up, but it must have been real good.

Probably marketing to folks who don't qualify for CMP purchase.  Yes, yes, I know it isn't that hard to do.  But, there are an amazing amount of people who cannot be bothered to check the internet site for the eligibility criteria.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably marketing to folks who don't qualify for CMP purchase.  Yes, yes, I know it isn't that hard to do.  But, there are an amazing amount of people who cannot be bothered to check the internet site for the eligibility criteria.

Or capitalizing on people who don't know better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or capitalizing on people who don't know better.

Well, really, what is about these new Garands that make them so wretchedly awful?  I mean, I live about 2.5 hours from the North store, but would still consider buying a brand new .308 for under 900 bucks.  The way I see it- you're getting a gun that is brand new, and with all the parts working (theoretically).  The post-USGI M1A's get bashed all the time, but my 2003 standard model hasn't had any of the problems I've heard.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just wondering...have any of the detractors shot any of the new M1's?  I understand that some might not want them because they lack the history of the original, but is there some quality issue that makes them duds?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Once SA ran out of USGI parts for the rifles they were building there started to be more instances of problems cropping up. The parts they use may now may not be close enough to GI spec to work good every time.

I went the rack grade Greek HRA rebuild direction with mine. Even with a new .308 barrel, NM op-rod, gas system, op-rod spring, misc. feed parts, a Wenigs unfinished stock set from DGR, and rebarrel/repark/NM trigger job by Warbird I ended up paying right at $1000. All USGI except for the barrel and wood. It is my favorite rifle by far, and I still have a bunch of leftover parts to use on another project.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The parts I saw werent even close to USGI.

The gas cylinder was the worst part of the rifle I fondled, it looked to be made of cheap pot metal, bad dimples and just crappy.

The sound this rifle made when cycling the bolt sounded more like a ......hell I dont know what it sounded like, but it sounded nothing like any Garand I have ever handled, and they all pretty much sound the same. If I think of a comparable sound I will update this part.

I would have loved to taken it down and look inside it, but even at this gunstore where I enjoy most favored status, that wasnt happening.

I dont know a lot about Garands, but I know before I would consider spending a grand on that rifle, I would either buy 3 rackers or one collector from CMP.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, really, what is about these new Garands that make them so wretchedly awful?  I mean, I live about 2.5 hours from the North store, but would still consider buying a brand new .308 for under 900 bucks.  The way I see it- you're getting a gun that is brand new, and with all the parts working (theoretically).

The M1 Garand is not currently in production. Springfield Inc. is making REPLICA M1s.

What to do when considering paying actual money for a replica M1.( Because that's what they are. Replicas. They have been accepted for service by no one. They have been rigorously proven by the marketing dept.)

Put down the credit card. Don't make any quick movements. ( Someone with a real M1 may be covering you.)

Say to yourself ........

"I want to meet a rifle that has had a life before me." ( It's ok. It's a rifle not a wife.)

"If something breaks as I learn to love my M1, I will be my unit armorer and figure it out ( when I can)".

"In life there are no warrantees. Just mil spec. "

"If it comes with a lifetime warranty it's going to need it."

"If the parts are cast , they're not gonna last."

The M1 Garand is not currently in production. Springfield Inc. is making REPLICA M1s.

Thankfully, real M1s are available. But not forever.

JR

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The parts I saw werent even close to USGI.

The gas cylinder was the worst part of the rifle I fondled, it looked to be made of cheap pot metal, bad dimples and just crappy.

The sound this rifle made when cycling the bolt sounded more like a ......hell I dont know what it sounded like, but it sounded nothing like any Garand I have ever handled, and they all pretty much sound the same. If I think of a comparable sound I will update this part.

I dont know a lot about Garands, but I know before I would consider spending a grand on that rifle, I would either buy 3 rackers or one collector from CMP.

Sums it up to a "T".

I handled one at Cabelas here in Fort Worth and it felt like a tin can. And, yes, when cycling, it sounded like a tin can too. Even just holding it and tapping my fingernail on the receiver gave me the feeling that the receiver metal was a mere fraction of the thickness of my REAL Garands. Sort of felt like a Daisy Red Rider.

Upon further inspection I can say that every single part looked like a cheap Chineese airsoft pretend gun part. I can't believe that with CMP churning out cheap rackers...that anyone would spend $1000 on what I would say is the most overpriced rifle I have ever seen in my entire life.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Springfield Inc is a replica.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone seems to be on the same bus here.

SO....do you guys feel the same way about the M1A?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty much, although I do not know as much about the M1As. I would have Warbird put one together for me If I ever decided to own one. He did the work on my .308 Garand and I am very satisfied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top