Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 8:28:06 PM EDT
I'm just wondering about something. I usually do not like to dry fire my weapons if I can help it, but my military rifles (I know it won't hurt an AK and we were trained on M-16s in weapons classes by dry firing during drills) all seem to take it with no ill effects. I have heard that it can damage an M1A though. I've seen guys let a hammer down easy on a Mini 14 by pulling the bolt back most of the way, pulling the trigger so that the hammer contacts it fairly gently and then slowly returning the bolt to battery, will this hurt an M1A/M14??? REason I ask is that my snap caps are at the farm with my winchester M1A and I'm here with my other one and no caps and I don't want to leave it cocked.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
this is my rifle, this is my gun.......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Dry firing wont hurt an M1A one bit.  I've had mine since 1978 and I couldn't began to count the hours I have dry firing it.

Same with my M1 and 1911s

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This device works:www.fulton-armory.com/DryFireDevice2.htm

Big time. I bought one and love it for dry firing. There is a definite noticeable difference between with the device, and without.

With the device, you only pull the operating handle about 1/4 inch to reset the hammer. Without, and you have to pull it almost all the way. Plus, that 1/4 inch is very easy, versus the entire spring strength without the device.

I can't count how many dead things there are on the t.v. because of that little delrin bugger. And as per another recent thread, ALWAYS VERIFY THE RIFLE IS EMPTY BEFORE SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER.

Otherwise, dry fire away, and make sure that front sight doesn't move!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top