Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 4:13:02 PM EDT
curious since I'm STILL WAITING and gettin antsy!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not any more than your average semi-auto rifle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
As bad as a FAL? Mine used to tear up my Lake city stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
They can be on the case necks, some of them dent the case neck on ejection.

Other than that, no prolems with all of the ones I have owned.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually if you are getting dented case necks.. the ejector spring might be the culprit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My Garands put small dents in the case mouth upon ejection. However, the brass reloads just fine afterwards. I'm on my 5th reload of some PS74 Korean cases that was first fired from an M1 and then FL resized once and then used in a 1903A3. I neck size them now. They have only needed to be trimmed once:right after they were once-fired and FL sized. The brass looks good and should last for quite a long time in the 03A3 as long as the primer pockets dont become loose.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Military suplus brass is softer than factory win/rem & soforth. They are rough on brass. They were not designed with the reloader in mind. Mine was real bad until I got the timing set & now it just drops them at my feet & the rims look almost new! Hope this helps. Later, Ron
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess it would depend on the M1,  I go my DCM M1 in 82 or 83, tons of rounds through it and I haven't ruined any brass yet.  Except for normal loading, I get 3-4 reloads out of LC brass before I dump it.  I dont recall shooting much civilian brass throght it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine dents the case neck a little on the way out, but nothing that can't be fixed.  I bought a case of Talon M2 a few years back, and most of the brass is on its 3rd or 4th loading.  I think I end up tossing out maybe two or three from each cycle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]
How hard on commercial brass is the Garand. I've heard that sometimes the extractor tears up the rim on non-military cases.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always get about twice the number reloads out of commercial brass that I did out of military brass. The military brass isnt worth the extra work for me either. The biggest problem I've had with M1's and M1A's and brass has been the case mouths getting tore up from bouncing off the concrete pads at our range. Other than that, they are no harder on brass than any other rifle.

The one thing you really need to watch with these rifles and reloading is the primers. Use a hard or mil type/spec primer, like CCI and make sure your depths are right. You dont want high primers. Once you know what your looking for, you can usually tell by finger touch, but a piece of glass or better yet, a mike, will tell you for sure. This is also one of the pains with using military brass and having to either ream or swage the pocket and making sure its right. You dont have to deal with it with the commercial brass.

Make sure you full length resize and trim each time and start checking for case head separations at around 4 reloads for military and around 8 for commercial brass. I usually never got more than 6 reloads out of the military brass where I would get 12-15 reloads out of Federal or Winchester brass as long as the case mouths held up. That is from the same rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top