Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 9:24:10 PM EDT
I plan on ordering a Springfield Armory Service Grade M1 Garand.
Looking over the CMP site I see they have new stocks for sale.
The Field grade is $100.00 cheaper.
What difference is there in the FG and the SG rifles? I know the muzzle wear will be more, but if it makes no practical difference in accuracy I was thinking of a Field Grade plus new stock.
Would the Service Grade be that much better than the FG plus new stock? I mean, is it still worth the extra $100.00 for the Service Grade?

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
"Field Grade Rifles are mechanically the same as Service Grade, except that muzzle wear may be over a 3 on a muzzle gauge.  Field grade rifles show more use and wear than service grade rifles, but still meet Army criteria for issue."  Per CMP web site.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Service grade is the way to go if you plan on shooting over 100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Expect the FG to look a little more "used".  

FWIW, I have yet to receive a stock that I think needed to be replaced (all SGs).  

I just ordered my first FG two weeks ago....we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for my thread about my Garand, I have a web site with my two SA Greek Service Grade Greek mixmaster Garands.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Rack Grade ($350) and rebarrel ($250), restock($120) and repark it ($75).
You will effectively have a new rifle for about $800.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Jim,
You will be delighted with the service grade.
My first service grade showed up two days ago. The wait was 55 days with the holidays during that period of time. I've purchased a number of correct grades and one collector.
I was shocked how nice the service grade is. I still haven't dismantled, or cleaned it, there was more cosmoline on it than the other rifles. I do know the bolt, reciever, barrel and trigger assembly are all Springfield Armory. Muzzle Erosion guaged out at just under 2 and the throat erosion  was right around 2.5. Parkerizing overall was around 90% and the walnut stock and handguards were in surprisingly good shape, better than a couple of the correct grades I've purchased.
Something doesn't look right about a Garand with new furniture. I put new Wenig Bastone Walnut on a Garand I had DGR completely rebuild, rechamber to 7.62 and reparkerize it really was a beater.  The wood literally knocks your socks off...but something about new wood on a Garand...it's just WRONG!
Order the service grade, it's worth the wait and you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jim,
You will be delighted with the service grade.
My first service grade showed up two days ago. The wait was 55 days with the holidays during that period of time. I've purchased a number of correct grades and one collector.
I was shocked how nice the service grade is. I still haven't dismantled, or cleaned it, there was more cosmoline on it than the other rifles. I do know the bolt, reciever, barrel and trigger assembly are all Springfield Armory. Muzzle Erosion guaged out at just under 2 and the throat erosion  was right around 2.5. Parkerizing overall was around 90% and the walnut stock and handguards were in surprisingly good shape, better than a couple of the correct grades I've purchased.
Something doesn't look right about a Garand with new furniture. I put new Wenig Bastone Walnut on a Garand I had DGR completely rebuild, rechamber to 7.62 and reparkerize it really was a beater.  The wood literally knocks your socks off...but something about new wood on a Garand...it's just WRONG!
Order the service grade, it's worth the wait and you'll be glad you did.

I thought the SG was the way to go. Thanks for confirming it.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Service grade is the way to go if you plan on shooting over 100 yards.

Yeah?

Go to:CMP Garand results  and count down to #24.

That is my score with a field grade.

Tim

PS.  I'm an average shot at best, and that score was fired in my 4th ever match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top