Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:58 PM EDT
I got my order confirmation for the Service Grade M1 Garand that I ordered about 2 weeks ago and in the confirmation at the bottom it says: "R004SA IS ON BACKORDER. WILL SHIP WHEN AVAILABLE."

Is that just another way of them saying 60 to 90 days like it says on the website, or do they seriously not have any Service Grade M1's and i'm SOL until they get more in which nobody knows when?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand, the wait is based on how long it takes to grade each rifle as they are taken from each crate and cleaned up. CMP does not have a large staff to handle all the orders that come in, so you have to wait unfortunately.

Shoot I would volunteer to work there if they were closer to texas and they would not have to pay me. Just give me a garand each month or just eight each year. I'd pay for the ammo myself.

I'm currently waiting on my first field grade from them, so my wait will be long due to being new to CMP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
From what I understand, the wait is based on how long it takes to grade each rifle as they are taken from each crate and cleaned up. CMP does not have a large staff to handle all the orders that come in, so you have to wait unfortunately.

Shoot I would volunteer to work there if they were closer to texas and they would not have to pay me. Just give me a garand each month or just eight each year. I'd pay for the ammo myself.

I'm currently waiting on my first field grade from them, so my wait will be long due to being new to CMP.

Thye used to do a volunteer program at anniston, but that was discontinued after people took parts and stuff IIRC.

I went and volunteered twice.  Great people.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thye used to do a volunteer program at anniston, but that was discontinued after people took parts and stuff IIRC.
I went and volunteered twice.  Great people.

Well I find most shooting people to be pretty good, but there is always the asshat ready to capitalize.  Too bad for CMP and us as it's customers.

SoS
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
take a number, I'm over the 30 day mark. All this ammo sitting here and nothing to shoot it with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
i have no clubs here dammit...i wanna cmp garand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If they were out, they would post like they do on the IHC and Winchesters "SOLD OUT- NOT ACCEPTING ORDERS"
They do not clean up the rifles. On the collector/correct grades, they do more inspections then they do on the other grades. You will always get a data sheet on a collector grade, where they have checked the throat and muzzle erosion and documented it.  There is much more info on that data sheet, specifically the "correctness" of some of the parts, Some of my correct grades had data sheets but not all.  I'm sure its a waste of time on the field and rack grades, as they are mixmasters anyway, but still very much shootable....you can't go wrong with purchasing from the CMP.... PERIOD.
When you get your rifle, and you dissassemble, clean and inspect, if you find ANYTHING broken that will affect the performance of the rifle, the CMP will replace it without charge, no questions asked.  they are OUTSTANDING to do business with.

My most recent CMP experience:
I placed a pretty serious order with CMP on Dec 14th. (It was serious to me, $3,768 total)
I ordered 2 H&R Correct grades, 1 H&R Collector grade, and one SA Service Grade.  At that time, they listed the SA Service grade as a 60-90 day wait, like they do now. I had ordered before, so all my paperwork was already on file and done. The Correct and Collector grade rifles were shipped immediately. The Service grade SA, just arrived yesterday. Total tiime for the SA Service grade was 55 days. Keep in mind Christmas and New Year fell into that time period.

My opinion about the rifles? I honestly couldn't  tell any difference between the Collector vs the Correct H&R's. All three were 96-99% metal finish rifles, with ME and TE right at or just above 1 on all of them. I do feel the Collector, at least in my experience with the H&Rs, was like tossing $500 out the window. Save your money, the Correct Grade H&R is like buying a new, 50yr old rifle with a few dings and scratches on the furniture...maybe a gouge here or there, but not typically.
They do say "luck of the draw" but I've been delighted with every purchase I've made with them, and I've never considered myself as "lucky".
Now, the SA Service grade:
WORTH THE WAIT, especially for the price. ME is 1+ with TE just barely over 2. I haven't  tore it down to clean and  do a close inspection yet, but the reciever, bbl, bolt, and trigger appear to be correct (they are all SA, I haven't checked #'s yet). Lots more cosmoline on this rifle than the others, but the walnut appears not to be overly dinged up.
Bottom line, if you can stand waiting 60 days or so......YOU WON'T BE SORRY!
IMO
I know, I know.....pics. If I figured out how the picture server stuff worked, then I'd have to figure out how the digital camera worked. I'd rather just go shoot......and I'm not talking cameras.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have no clubs here dammit...i wanna cmp garand.

Join the Garand Collectors Association.

www.garandcollectors.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top