Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:31:30 AM EDT
Perhaps my search-fu is weak, but I simply can't find anything on these boards that talks about commerical ammo being fired in an M1A.

I have a Springfield M1A with a '69 (I think) H&R barrel. Can I shoot any Black Hills, American Eagle, Federal Gold Medal Match, (basically anything I can find at Gander Mountain) etc. ammo through it? My twelve hundred rounds of south african has given me headaches abound, and I don't want to "waste" any more of my beloved Aussie ammo (saving what little is left for SHTF). I can't afford another 500 or 1,000 rounds of anything quite right now, I just need like 50 or 100 rounds for a casual shooting competition at my gun club that I'd like to attend.

Thanks to everyone
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes commerical ammo is fine,
Just do not use "Mag" type loads, nor try to use anything heaver than 180gr threw the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes commerical ammo is fine,
Just do not use "Mag" type loads, nor try to use anything heaver than 180gr threw the rifle.

Ok, thanks

-----------------------------------------------

Any brand reccomendations, anyone?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The M1A worked fine with American Eagle, Federal, and Winchester white box ammo. In fact the WWB at Gander Mountain was marked "7.62x51mm, 147 grain", so it was exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, it IS normal for a spent casing to be much more snug inside the chamber than an unfired round, correct?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
all the comm. ammo mentioned works great ,  SHT. to avoid is Chilien ammo , it is old , dirty lookin and hot ! , i had several cases rupture- causing the floor plate of my magazine to blow out , and i was hit in face with hot gases , was blackfaced !!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, it IS normal for a spent casing to be much more snug inside the chamber than an unfired round, correct?

Yup... the case expands when fired if there is any room between it and the chamber walls.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Gander Mtn ammo mentioned sounds like OFV Indian. It is the complete opposite of 'Good commercial ammo'  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gander Mtn ammo mentioned sounds like OFV Indian. It is the complete opposite of 'Good commercial ammo'  

Ugh, ain't it the truth. Even the ammo cans are caked in concrete-like dirt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Perhaps my search-fu is weak, but I simply can't find anything on these boards that talks about commerical ammo being fired in an M1A.

I have a Springfield M1A with a '69 (I think) H&R barrel. Can I shoot any Black Hills, American Eagle, Federal Gold Medal Match, (basically anything I can find at Gander Mountain) etc. ammo through it? My twelve hundred rounds of south african has given me headaches abound, and I don't want to "waste" any more of my beloved Aussie ammo (saving what little is left for SHTF). I can't afford another 500 or 1,000 rounds of anything quite right now, I just need like 50 or 100 rounds for a casual shooting competition at my gun club that I'd like to attend.

Thanks to everyone

Federa has a cheap M-80 ball load out
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The Winchester USA and Remington UMC factory ammo works just fine in all of our M1A rifles.  I've not tried Federal .308 in our M1A rifles but I don't know why it wouldn't work.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Winchester USA and Remington UMC factory ammo works just fine in all of our M1A rifles.  I've not tried Federal .308 in our M1A rifles but I don't know why it wouldn't work.  

DIFFERENT... I have a NIB SA M1A and I am trying to decide what long-range load to go with and standardize on. I'm thinking a 168gr BT bullet would be nice. And I can decide on commercially loaded stuff, or whether to roll my own. I reload for my .30-06 and .44mag, so I'm no reloading noob. But if I was going to reload, I'd just as soon grab a load of someone else's and just use that, rather than work-up my own. I realize that different loads work better in different rifles, but I just want a good MOA + or - load to use and get good with at 300 - 600 yards. Most people are reluctant to give-out their personal loads. Can you think of any commercial stuff that would fill my requirements well? Or maybe a link to somewhere I can find the reload data I am seeking? I don't want to beat my rifle up, so it would have to be something I could send at least several thousand rounds downrange with, without wearing-out my gun. Any info would be much appreciated, as I have my scoped and everything, and all I feel I am missing is a good load to practice long-range shooting with (without spending a fortune on Match ammo).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot SA M1A in highpower last year, my first year at it. I used Black Hills 168gr  match ammo and was very happy with it. I've fired several different brands of ammo through this rifle from surplus 147gr to 168gr match without any problems at all. I definately got better accuracy with 168gr though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top