Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:29:10 AM EDT
I found a couple of rifles in a pawn shop. One is a CAI Garand and the other is an M1A. Both look nearly new.
I remember something about the CAI Garands but don't remember if they are poor quality or not.

If you could only buy one of them which one would make the better shooter and hold it's value best?
Both are .308.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
CAI Garands were built with used parts on a cast receiver.While i've heard some were good shooters as long as the CMP has real Garands they are non starters for most people.The M1a will definetly hold it's value better as well as being a being a better weapon.I'm assuming this M1a is a Springfield Armory,correct?. What are the prices on these rifles as I can't imagine anyone would sell these two for even remotely similar prices.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
CAI Garands were built with used parts on a cast receiver.While i've heard some were good shooters as long as the CMP has real Garands they are non starters for most people.The M1a will definetly hold it's value better as well as being a being a better weapon.I'm assuming this M1a is a Springfield Armory,correct?. What are the prices on these rifles as I can't imagine anyone would sell these two for even remotely similar prices.

The M1A is SA and is in what I think is an M14 stock- it has the cutout in the stock for the selector switch.
They have them both priced around $900.00, but said they would definately work with me.
This is the shop that, under new management, can't display "assault weapons" on the rack for sale, so they have a very hard time moving them, and want an FFL to ensure noone goes postal. They sold me my Colt MTC HBAR for $700.00 after it was marked $895.00, so I should be able to get a good deal.

Apparently the old management overpaid on a lot of weapons, and it looks like someone sold an entire collection to the shop. They don't know what some of the rifles are either. I have put in layaway an Arisaka type 99 short rifle they had priced at $89.95. It was listed as a Nissein bolt action rifle. The manager said they had given $149.00 for it and are taking the hit to get it out of the shop.

What are SA M1As selling for used?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen a CAI Garand for over 500.
And I thought that was too much.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
the garand is way too much. Even gun at a gun show rip off price, the worse I've seen for century is $550.

John
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
900 is a very good price on a Springfield M1a.Even one without any G.I. parts in ok condition will bring about that.If it's in very good condition as you say then it's a steal and any G.I. parts is just a bonus.Also,Springfield Armory has a warranty for the life of the rifle (not the original owner) so your'e golden should you have any issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a no brainer. Buy the Springfield M1A. Get a Garand from the CMP if you want one.

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]
For $900 bucks you can get a Correct Grade Garand from the CMP. The last 3 Corrects I have purchased looked all but new with almost no wear on even the bolt locking lugs. Delivered to my door in less than 2 weeks......

Get the M1A and then save up for a CMP Garand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top