Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:26 PM EDT
Who else here thinks the extended bolt release for the M1A by SE is the next best thing to butter on a piece of toast?  Seriously, what a great improvement!  Took my scout to the range and practiced some rapid reloading.  Nice not to have to move my right hand during the whole process.  If you were considering getting one, then stop considering and just do it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one, didnt install it eyt. i knew it would be cool.
thanks for the report....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They work Great and well worth the money spent
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who else here thinks the extended bolt release for the M1A by SE is the next best thing to butter on a piece of toast?  Seriously, what a great improvement!  

\\\

Short answer: Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), the USN and USAF (MK14 Mod O/1) and a whole bunch of Army units.    
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who else here thinks the extended bolt release for the M1A by SE is the next best thing to butter on a piece of toast?  Seriously, what a great improvement!  

\\\

Short answer: Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), the USN and USAF (MK14 Mod O/1) and a whole bunch of Army units.    

I have one on my USN MK14 Mod O and another on my MOUT rifle currently under costruction @ SEI
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Rooster version of this device is on my short list.

Too funny, I am waiting for Boyd to send me my type 2 stock to complete the current build (four weeks has turned into four months and counting), and have yet to order the new bolt release since I can't make up my mind of which way to go.  

The SE unit looks more like it has the "As came from the factory look", but the R-33 just has a cool factor about it that can't be denied.
Decisions, decisions......
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two of the SEI EBS and absolutely love them.  I may have gotten the Rooster33 version but it has R33 cut into the face of it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too funny, I am waiting for Boyd to send me my type 2 stock to complete the current build (four weeks has turned into four months and counting), and have yet to order the new bolt release since I can't make up my mind of which way to go.  

The SE unit looks more like it has the "As came from the factory look", but the R-33 just has a cool factor about it that can't be denied.
Decisions, decisions......

Both will function as advertised, but I believe the Rooster, with its more pronounced ridges,  might have an edge in cold climates, and/or where heavy gloves are worn.
Rooster is not US-made, it is Canadian.  Perhaps that was an additional factor in the US gov't choosing a domestically made product, the SEI unit.

Actually, being a US product was not a factor at all.  Essentially, those Services and organizations that chose the the SEI EBSR did so because they also bought a significant number of other Smith Ent products.  In other words, signifcant savings to the taxpayer with volume P/O's.     Additionally, SEI is a CCR-registered and proven supplier/manufacter with DOD.  that speaks volumes in an of itself.   Forgot to mention, the EBSR will receive it's NSN shortly, along with some other SEI M-14 components.    
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll stick with SEI
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Since the SEI EBS is made here in the states that makes it better by a hundred fold anyhow.  Dont waste your money on foreign made $*&t.  It is bad enought that half the commerical M14 stuff is Chinese.  In short keep save your Buddies job, buy AMERICAN!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]
i use the sei piece and absolutly love it! if you think it's just a gimmick part think again!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]

I bought one, and I'll be damned but I can't get the roll pin out to install it!!

Anybody have any tips?

It's probably going to be going on the EE soon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I know some of the SA Inc receivers had unmachined metal left in the way of the front part of the bolt stop area of the receiver.  About any of the proclaimed M14 smiths should be able to easily fix you problem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
<snip> I think I will still go with the Rooster for reasons stated above.

I agree, I have been using a few items that Rooster makes, each has given good service.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]
13Foxtot,

I have a SA and there was some metal in the front of the hole for the pin.  Take a 1/8 punch and lightly tap the pin from the front to the rear of the reciever.  I tapped just enough to get the original bolt stop out used the same spring for the SE extended bolt release.  Tapped the pin back in and was finished.  Took all of about 3 minutes. Let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of the SA Inc receivers holes are completely blocked off by unmachined metal left by pure sorryness.  Some are like yours and have just enough room for a smaller punch to fit.  Left it be known that quite a few receivers have been broken around the bolt stop area by removing the pin.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Left it be known that quite a few receivers have been broken around the bolt stop area by removing the pin.  

Yes, this is true - be very careful.

The crew @ Clyde Armory installed the one on my
Springfield and SEI is installing one on my Norinco.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Why did the M14 not come with this part from the get go?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one?  

When have you found it useful to have?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The USGI Springfield Armory manufactured and proposed an extended bolt lock in 1961.  Apparently, they were ahead of their time.  The U. S. Army (Ordnance Weapons Command?) did not adopt it.  Reference: U.S. RIFLE M14 From John Garand to the M21 by R. Blake Stevens Revised Second Edition page 212.

Advantages - Less time to get the bolt into battery after inserting the magazine.  This is the cat's meow for the M14A1 configuration in prone IMO.  Civilian practical rifle shooters like it too for faster reloading.

Disadvantages - Don't push the left side of the receiver against something until you are ready during magazine changes.  Otherwise, the bolt will go home sooner than you want.

Regardless, IMO the extended bolt lock is a benefit to the automatic rifleman and to those engaged in tactical/practical shooting.  It's of no advantage in competition match shooting.  I like it.  I've installed three SEI extended bolt locks on my M1A rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The USGI Springfield Armory manufactured and proposed an extended bolt lock in 1961.  Apparently, they were ahead of their time.  The U. S. Army (Ordnance Weapons Command?) did not adopt it.  Reference: U.S. RIFLE M14 From John Garand to the M21 by R. Blake Stevens Revised Second Edition page 212.

Advantages - Less time to get the bolt into battery after inserting the magazine.  This is the cat's meow for the M14A1 configuration in prone IMO.  Civilian practical rifle shooters like it too for faster reloading.

Disadvantages - Don't push the left side of the receiver against something until you are ready during magazine changes.  Otherwise, the bolt will go home sooner than you want.

Regardless, IMO the extended bolt lock is a benefit to the automatic rifleman and to those engaged in tactical/practical shooting.  It's of no advantage in competition match shooting.  I like it.  I've installed three SEI extended bolt locks on my M1A rifles.  

You know, Different, I thought it took a good sized set to admit online the other day that you had just noticed that in Stevens' book. I don't think I would've fessed up to it.Despite Stevens' smartass comment on the subject (heck, you can tell he's pretty much a M14 hater just by reading the book) I still imagine there was some better reason the extended lock wasn't adopted.

Being a lefty and a civilian, I have no use for them. I do think they probably should have been included from the get go, just to give another option as to how things are done. I won't be changing any of mine out because as I've said before, changing the basic operating controls on a forty or fifty year old design is not my idea of a good thing. Be a bit like putting a crossbolt safety on an M16.Time to start training all over again. I'm not gonna be changing my habits for some nonstandard "improvement" when very few of the type are so modified.

I'm not knockin' anyone on the civvie side for adding one, I think they would help a righty a good deal. Just don't no one try convincing me my rifle's incomplete until I add a fifty dollar trinket just to follow the herd.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#23]
BishopM14,

Being a lefty you did save some money.  All a lefty has to do is pull back on the op rod handle with their non-dominant right hand after putting a fresh magazine in and the bolt goes home. The extended release just makes this a little easier for the righty.  And improvements are not a "herd" mentality they are just improvements take'em or leave'em.  If I had a herd mentality I would not own a rifle as they are scary looking and "baaaaad" for me.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Rooster and love it too.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:06:35 AM EDT
[#25]
It has been on my "to buy" list for some time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]
who has these releases? web addresses...PLEASE
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
who has these releases? web addresses...PLEASE

SEI
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank You very much!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Who has info on the Rooster 33 brand?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm new to the M1A platform and you guys are a wealth of info!!!
Is there a extended mag release for them? What's the seceret to a FAST mag change?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
<snip>
Is there a extended mag release for them?

Not that I am aware, nor is there a need for such an item on the M1A/M14.

What's the seceret to a FAST mag change?

Practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm new to the M1A platform and you guys are a wealth of info!!!

A BIG +1.....I've recently retired my AR10 and picked up an M1A, this should be fun!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Troy ind supposedly offered an extended mag release a while back. I am not sure if they still do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Glad to see the discussion on this - I'd seen it (the SEI) in the Bownells catalog (851-000-055 M14 Extended Bolt Stop) and been thinking about it. Now it's on my wish list....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I love it on my M14SE (below).  Will go on my MK14 Mod X, too DLA should have the NSN announced shortly, btw.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
... Will go on my MK14 Mod X ...

MK14 Mod X has a nice ring to it

SEI EBS on my MK14 Mod O

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Will go on my MK14 Mod X ...

MK14 Mod X has a nice ring to it

SEI EBS on my MK14 Mod O

www.athenswater.com/images/Gray32.JPG

Actually, the "Mod X" just signifies that the USN and USAF haven't really settled on the final Mod number for their respective rifles.  Could be Mod 3 for teh USN and for the Air Force they might not even use th "MK14" designation.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#40]
MK14 Mod X has a nice temporary ring to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top