Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:31 PM EDT
I am working on installing a Harris bipod on my M1A and I am not usre were I want to put it.  Anyone have photos of their M1A with a bipod?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am working on installing a Harris bipod on my M1A and I am not usre were I want to put it.  Anyone have photos of their M1A with a bipod?

My Scout in walnut with a Harris bi pod on a QD stud.

The same rifle in a SAGE with the same bi pod and an ARMS rail mount.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]

This is where mine is going. Also remember to mount the bipod so the springs on the legs take the recoil, not the stud.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/DSC07954.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/DSC07953.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/DSC07955.jpg

This is where mine is going. Also remember to mount the bipod so the springs on the legs take the recoil, not the stud.

Did you install that in the drain hole?

Where did you get that stud?

My plan is to install it between the exsisting drain hole and the sling mount on a used synthetic stock.  The stud I have is smaller and doesn't have a backing plate.  I might drill a penny and use that and some epoxy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
 This is a Harris #5 Bipod adapter. I had to modify it a little to fit properly. When I get back on the project I'll use some epoxy to make it permanent.

It was explained to me that it would hurt nothing to use the weephole to mount the stud. Again just from what I understand the weephole allowed the expanding gasses to escape along with water and crud in the field (battle). I was assured that there is plenty of area around the barrel channel & handguard for gas to escape and my rifle isn't going to the beach anytime soon so I don't need it to drain H2O.

I'm sure there are different opinions but thats what I'm going with on this stock. The only person that could change my mind would be Sir Lee (Different).

Good luck with your project !!

And post the mandatory pics pleeze ......
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 This is a Harris #5 Bipod adapter. I had to modify it a little to fit properly. When I get back on the project I'll use some epoxy to make it permanent.

It was explained to me that it would hurt nothing to use the weephole to mount the stud. Again just from what I understand the weephole allowed the expanding gasses to escape along with water and crud in the field (battle). I was assured that there is plenty of area around the barrel channel & handguard for gas to escape and my rifle isn't going to the beach anytime soon so I don't need it to drain H2O.

I'm sure there are different opinions but thats what I'm going with on this stock. The only person that could change my mind would be Sir Lee (Different).

Good luck with your project !!

And post the mandatory pics pleeze ......

Thanks

I like that #5 bipod adapter.  I will be placing an order tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are mounting the bipod stud in the drain hole on a USGI fiberglass stock, you will want to reinforce that area of the stock with some steel expoxy or the like.That is the thinnest part of the stock and I have seen several cracked at tyhe drain hole due to bipod mounting.The cracks have run into the ferrule and back into the sling swivel.

The drain hole was just to let water drain out when the Operations got wet.It has nothing to do with letting gas escape.IIRC, Different will tell you the same thing.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a bipod mount on my Springfield two weeks ago.  I used a Harris #5 adapter and epoxyied it into place at the sling swivel rear hole, the one closest to the trigger.  I had to drill out the rivets for the sling.

I thought about putting the bipod mount behind the sling swivel, but when I looked at it, the sling swivel wasn't useable when the bipod was mounted anyways, so I didn't see the point.  Once I epoxied the mount, I had the grind off the top of the #5 mount till it wouldn't hit my op rod.  I put grease on the op rod and put the receiver into my stock multiple times until the grease stopped appearing on the bipod mount.  That's when I knew I had enough clearance.

It took me a couple of hours because I was new to working with a Dremel tool and because drilling out the rivets took a while.  Adding the epoxy was the easiest part of the whole job.  By the time I was ready to add the epoxy onto the mount, I had all the hard work done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's my scout with a bipod.  I replaced my original SA black stock with one of their Mossy Oaks and it came with a second bipod stud, so that's where I put the bipod.  Very secure and it looks to be reinforced with a oval shaped metal washer on the other side of the stud.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a new SEI's new NSN-pending TriRail system for USGI fiberglass stocks.  Very simple, clean MIL STD 1913 bolt on affair.  

Debuted on an M14SE at the SHOT Show.  It's supposed to be in production for the civilian market in about thirty days, according to Ron Smith.  Ignore the bipod.  It was something just for the show. They we're experimenting with a new adjustable cheek rest, too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
hmm, spent around 200 and change on their nsn mount.  I wonder how much those rails will cost...  My bank account hates me...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I am done.

I used the No. 5 Harris mount, installed in the drain hole.  I modified/cut both the mount and the stock.  Using my Dremmel tool I cut the tabs off both ends of the mount and beveled the sides.  I then removed some the stock material to level the mount and allow for a flush fit.  It mounted up tight.  I want to test fire it this weekend and if all goes well I will epxoy the mount into the stock.

Can someone post pics for me?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw this at the SHOT show as well, at Keng's Firearms booth (they make the Versa Pod): http://versapod.com/m_h/sporting/sporting_products_acc.html

Accessory Picatinny Rail for M14 Rifle / Springfield Armory® M1A® Rifle Model (150-807)
Replaces standard-issue front sling swivel on M14 stock. Provides 3 1/4" long MIL-STD-1913 rail for attachment of accessories.
Freely-roatating 1 5/8" sling loop. Milled channel allows residual gas to bleed off from gas vent hole.

I talked with them about what makes this rail so special versus all the other rails out there:  ['One it is STEEL and the bolts are the highest grade available, TWO it has a channel on the back side to allow gas to vent from the cylinder, THREE there are NO stock mods required'] (paraphrased)

I don't know about the NO mods to the stock claim, I only have ONE hole for my sling swivel on my stock and ONE hole for the gas/drain hole. In dividual results may vary though...

~Will
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
sweet
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Email sent with pcis thanks Steve.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]

# 2

# 3

# 4

# 5

Nice Job Larry !  

(Now that you have your bipod installed you can work on your photography Fu )
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks

Yeah I know I need to work on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top