Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 6:24:20 PM EDT
The hype might be warranted, but I never seem to read any enthusiasm for the scout.
???
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The SOCOM needs the hype.

The standard M14 does not need the hype.

The Scout M14 does not need the hype.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I like. Simple, direct and accurate answers. I'll second your reply.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine bought the SOCOM II.  I saw it and handled it.  After a bit of research I went with the Scout going on the fact that it has the same gas system as the standard model (tried and proven), the iron sights are a lot more precise (SOCOMs have big thick CQB sights), and it has better balance (SOCOM II is nose heavy before you add a light/laser, etc...).

He loves his and I love mine.  I don't want his and he doesn't want mine...I guess that's what makes the world go round.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
good answers, appreciate them.
Agree the m1 doesn't require hype, that said maybe hype wasn't the best word. I guess a better way of puttin it is there seem to be a lot of "I love my socom" posts everywhere online, but I don't read from many people who have scouts, I don't really know of many people that have scouts, so that's the difference I'm questioning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Because it doesn't have a tacticool name like "SOCOM", nor does it come in bad-ass black.
People are too good for walnut these days I guess.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
it is in bad-a!! black though,

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The hype might be warranted, but I never seem to read any enthusiasm for the scout.
???

The 18" Scout started out as the well accepted Bush rifle and evolved into the Scout.
Both the standard 22" MBR and the 18" bush/scout are currently used by the military.
There is much enthusiasm for the 18" M14 type rifle.

The 16" Socom I & II are not used by the military and need to be hyped/marketed/sold to the public.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield SOCOM

"Accepted for service by no one. Rigorously proven by the marketing dept."

In life there are no warrantees. Just mil spec.

If it comes with a lifetime warranty it's going to need it.

If the parts are cast , they're not gonna last.

JR

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
again good comments. I originally considered the scout myself then over time read so much enthusiasm for the socom it made me rethink that.
1 thing I like about the socom is it would be easier to manuver through some of the brush I'm in when we're out in the woods, rhodadendren sp?, thickets, ect.. Other than that I prefer the scout.
I've been back and forth about which weapon to buy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1 thing I like about the socom is it would be easier to manuver
through some of the brush I'm in when we're out in the woods,

If you install the SEI GLFS and DC Vortex flash hider on a
Scout it ends up being just slightly longer than the SOCOM.

Big ass picture
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The Scout/Squad barks for itself.  <---- came up with that one all on my own!

Seriously, the Scout is a great rifle. I have hefted the SOCOMs, and especially the new SOCOM II, and they're very swingable, but I went with the Scout anyway. Great rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes in life the right tool is the one that makes compromises between extremes (Scout), sometimes its the one that lies at the extreme (SOCOM or Full Length); J-Frame, 686, Model 29; Glock 35, 19, 26; Civic, 4-Runner, Excursion; etc.  

As far as the over the top hype goes....I think its just a nexus between the first new'ish battle rifle in decades, a trend towards compact handy rifles, increasing restrictions on black rifles, increased military use and interest in the 308-M14 platform, and a growing recognition of the limitations of the 223-AR platform.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top