Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT
I am a new poster, but have been reading for a while.  I am in California, so my choices for a rifle are somewhat limited.  I have decided on an M1A, but have been reading some differing opinions on the "just go out a get the SA model you want" type purchase.  here's what I want to know:

Do those of you that don't like SA think it is possable the quality issues are hit and miss, or is it overall just bad?
Are after market complete guns the way to go, or get any M1A, and rebuild it?
What is the accuracy difference between 22, 18, and 16" barrels?
Chrome linned way better?

Botton line, do I have to become an expert, pay out hte nose and wait a year, or can I get a quallity M1A and stay married?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the accuracy difference between 22, 18, and 16" barrels?
Chrome linned way better?

Welcome!

Personally, I think there is probably little accuracy differences between the barrel lenghts.  Barrel lenght determines the velocity of the bullet, muzzle flash, and recoil.

If you can get a chrome-lined barrel, I would go for it, this will extend your barrel life.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
SA Inc, will be hit or miss. But they stand by their product, so if you have a quality control issue, they will make it right for you.

As for what you want...
SA Inc, is a good quality rifle. Reasonably priced for this type of weapon.
I recommend a Chrome bore & chamber. I would tell you USGI Barrel, but they are scarce and expensive. There are also other manufacturers and cost will be a factor. If you can find an older SA Inc M1A, you will have better chance of getting USGI parts and a USGI BArrel.

Other rifle makers like LRB Arms and Smith Enterprise, are quality M14 manufacturers. They will cost more, but are top of the line. You will get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for an older mostly all USGI SA rifle that has not been used much. $1200 is around the going rate. The more USGI there is, the better off you are.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You loose unnoticable velocity in a shorter barrel ,that won't change  the accuracy,but IMHO you loose a bit of accuracy in a shorter sight radius.

Longhunter
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
good topic.   I was actually going to ask the same questions.  Where is a good resource for these guns?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the board,

If you can become an expert without having an M1A, I salute you. There is a bunch of info-overload, but once you can apply it to a rifle in your hands it makes it much easier.

1. You will pay through the nose.
2. You will pay even more a year from now.

I suggest the classic M-14 look, but then I am biased. You WILL NOT regret buying one now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top