Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:33:23 PM EDT
...and about how many inches does that equate to at 100yrds?  I put a vortex on my scout and its lowered the point of impact by 3 clicks.  I know scouts tend to need a little more elevation adjustment than full size M-14's, mine took 13 clicks (16 clicks w/vortex) instead of the usual 8-10 for a zero at 100yrds.  I like to use a 6 o'clock hold, though the POI shift makes me use more of a dead on hold(don't like the rear sight up that high at 100yrds.), and I'm trying to keep the rear sight down lower to the protective ears.  TIA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, the only difference tween NM and regular sight blades is the width. A NM blade is .062" wide, and standard is  around .084".(Gotta trust my books on that one, I don't keep any standard sights on my 14 clones) Unless there are other differences in height I haven't heard about, this wouldn't affect elevation.Just makes for easier precise shooting with the thinner blade, as long as your eyes are up to it.

Zeroing the shorties can be a compromise for sure. My standard is zeroed at six clicks up from bottom at 100 yards, which I like. My Bush, built with SAIs taller Scout front "NM" sight, takes 14 clicks up from bottom to get the same result. A bit higher than I would like, as it does put the aperture up above the ears.Meausring the total height of the two front sights, there's about 20 MOA lowering built into the Scout sight. More actually, since my math is based on the 22" barrell's sight radius needing .008" to move POI one inch @100, and the 18.5" is gonna be even more sensitive to sight adjustments. So in my case, putting a standard front sight on the carbine would take me way too far in the other direction, and I really don't feel like filing the front sight down to get zeroed with less rear sight elevation, since I don't like looking at a little short nub of a front sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks bishop.  I thought the SAInc. NM front sight was taller than the G.I. version, but it sounds like the elevation is on par with other scouts.  Maybe I'll get the front sight filed down a bit (not exactly to a nub) and see what happens.  I do love this rifle.  Accurate, reliable, enough power, and easy to swing (I'm no 6footer), I find myself neglecting my other rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top