Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 3:39:51 PM EDT
How do I remove a m1 carbine extrator without the prooper tool?
Thank you
Gary
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
you don't.

Seriously, drop the cash for the tool, and save yourself a world of headaches.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you don't.

Seriously, drop the cash for the tool, and save yourself a world of headaches.

+1

It probably can be done, but it just ain't worth the hassle.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You can do it without the bolt tool.

You will be one SORRY man if you do, and your family and neighbors will hear words they may never have heard as you try to get it back together.

Buy the bolt tool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thank you
Gary

You can do it, if you grow another hand.  I never attempted to do it.  I could see how it could be done, but again, with a third hand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a piece of cake. I've got the scars to prove it.

Don't be a fool, buy the tool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank you
Gary

Cut a spent casing down to 3/8 inch or so. Insert rim under extractor. Clamp bolt in padded vise, lengthwise, compressing spent shall end into ejector. (Do not clamp over the extractor.) Use the edge of a punch/thin piece of metal to manipulate Rube Goldberg retaining detent. Wiggle extractor up and out, being careful to retain Rube Goldberg retaining detent.

If you have done this correctly, merely reverse the process to put it back together.

Because you have not done it correctly, you will curse the Rube Goldberg detent, 'rue the day,' and buy the bolt tool, along with replacement Rube Goldberg detents.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The consensuses here is to buy the tool and I agree. I've managed to fiddle around and disassemble the bolts on my Garand and M1A without a tool (numerous times in the case of the Garand). But I had to buy the tool to get the bolt on my Carbine together.

If your not interested in the tool from a collectors standpoint, just buy a cheap commercial one from Gunbroker or Ebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top