Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 10:31:10 AM EDT

Quoted:
Well, I have some coming from both keepshooting.com and J&G Sales. Both are charging 14.95 per mag. I suspect those from J&G will be in nicer condition based on the respective descriptions. Waiting to see J&Gs shipping for a final cost comparison.  I'll let ya know how they turn out.

Based on this post from a different thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=192061

I went ahead and purchased 4 USGI mags from J&G Sales.

Easy to order and arrived within 4 business days.  New in Wrap (as advertised).  Although a better term than 'New' would be 'Unused'.

I knew all these things beforehand based on the item description (80%) and email contact with company (20%).

All mags were broken down and easily cleaned inside and out using brake cleaner.  Three functioned normally and the fourth had some 'stickiness' at the top of its travel due to rust on the inside of the box.

All have rust on them to some degree but only the one had it on the inside, no springs had any rust at all.  I was going to use the Easy Button (Naval Jelly) on the rust but want to hear your input first.  It would seem that, at some point, some J&G mags sat in water (likely freshwater) for a short period of time.

I also purchased a bandoleer for $0.99 .

Range Report to follow.

edit:  Nobody answered to warn me that Naval Jelly will also remove bluing in addition to the rust!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to hijack, forgot I had started that thread. The mags I got from J&G all functioned well at the range. Those from keepshooting.com sucked big time. One has a dented body and a bent feed lip, and another appears to have a bad spring (won't feed reliably at all). J&G was definitely the way to go. The ones I got from there also had small rust spots, but nothing that worried me. I took it off with some steel wool and a light oil.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not to hijack, forgot I had started that thread. The mags I got from J&G all functioned well at the range. Those from keepshooting.com sucked big time. One has a dented body and a bent feed lip, and another appears to have a bad spring (won't feed reliably at all). J&G was definitely the way to go. The ones I got from there also had small rust spots, but nothing that worried me. I took it off with some steel wool and a light oil.

I oiled the inside of the mags with Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide.  The rust area in the one mag brushed off!

The Naval Jelly today was much stronger on the outside, bluing removed
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
mineral spirits or denatured alcohol would have cleaned those up pretty good
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Fired the four mags today (sorta).

One would not seat in the magwell.  Did not matter how hard I smacked it, nor how much pressure I put on it, it would not click just that little bit more.  It would feed a round easily enough but then of course the firing would unseat the mag.

The other three worked just fine, no issues.  This includes the really (formerly) rusty one.

Overall, I would recommend J&G for M1 Carbine mags.

dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top